Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Round Rock Express (16-24) plated a pair of runs in the top of the ninth inning to claim a series-clinching 4-2 victory over the Iowa Cubs (12-25) on Tuesday afternoon at Principal Park. Express SS Nick Noonan led the way with a pair of RBI, including the go-ahead run in the ninth.
Round Rock RHP Matt Bush (1-1, 2.25) collected his first victory of the season thanks to a shutout eighth inning of relief. Iowa RHP Dillon Maples (0-1, 6.17) suffered the loss after giving up two runs on three hits in the ninth.
The E-Train grabbed the first lead of the game in the second inning as 1B Tommy Joseph collected a leadoff single prior to a clutch two-out RBI single off the bat of RF Destin Hood. However, Iowa responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame. Following singles by SS Mike Freeman and DH Tyler Pearson, 2B Chesny Young singled to right field. Hood misplayed the offering, allowing a pair of unearned runs to score.
Express LHP Yohander Mendez recovered to retire 10 of his next 11 hitters faced to cap off a solid afternoon. The lefty finished having allowed just the two unearned runs on a total of five hits while striking out seven in 4.1 innings of work.
Round Rock picked up their starter by leveling the game in the seventh. 2B Andy Ibanez continued his hot roadtrip with a single off Iowa LHP Kyle Ryan. Noonan then followed up with an RBI double that reset the score at 2-2.
The Express rallied for a pair of ninth inning runs to claim the series. CF Jose Cardona and Hood put runners on the corners with back-to-back base hits. Noonan played the role of hero with a groundout that allowed Cardona to race home with the go-ahead run. DH Scott Heineman added an insurance run with a two-out RBI single.
Round Rock RHP R.J. Alvarez sealed the 4-2 victory with a scoreless ninth inning of relief, picking up his team-leading seventh save of the season.
After a league-wide off-day on Wednesday, the Express open a four-game series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Thursday. Round Rock RHP Yovani Gallardo (0-1, 4.71) is slated to start against New Orleans RHP Sandy Alcantara (1-1, 3.79). First pitch at the Shrine on Airline in Metairie, Louisiana is set for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.