Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History
The New Orleans Baby Cakes exploded for 16 runs over the final five innings on Tuesday afternoon in a 16-0 shutout of the Omaha Storm Chasers to equal the largest margin of victory in franchise history.
New Orleans also posted 16-run wins in 1994 (18-2 over Iowa) and in 2011 (22-6 over Omaha). The last 16-run outburst came nearly four years ago, in a 16-9 win at Round Rock on May 29, 2014.
Austin Dean was not retired in any of his six plate appearances, collecting two singles, two doubles, a walk and a sacrifice fly en route to scoring three runs and driving in three more. Isaac Galloway had three hits and three RBI, and JT Riddle added three RBI, two coming on a home run in the eighth inning off Storm Chasers shortstop Humberto Arteaga.
The teams were scoreless into the bottom of the fourth, when the Baby Cakes sent 10 batters to the plate and scored five times. Cristhian Adames followed back-to-back singles by Tomas Telis and Chad Wallach with a double to left-center to bring in the first run, and scored two batters later on Dean's double. Galloway then tripled to right-center ahead of an RBI single by Riddle to cap the fourth time this season the 'Cakes batted around in an inning.
New Orleans had eight more batters come to the plate in each of the next two innings, capitalizing on nine walks by Storm Chasers pitching while each player in the 'Cakes lineup had at least one hit.
Riddle picked up his eighth multi-hit effort in the last 10 games, during which he is batting .442, and Telis finished the series 9-for-21 and is hitting .500 (17-for-34) in eight games against the Chasers this season.
Zac Gallen (4-1) was the beneficiary of the offense, and danced in and out of trouble throughout his six innings to keep Omaha off the scoreboard. Gallen has worked 26 consecutive shutout innings at home to begin the season, and lowered his ERA to 2.25, second-best in the Pacific Coast League.
Severino Gonzalez, Sean Burnett and Tyler Kinley each contributed a scoreless inning of relief as the Baby Cakes recorded their league-leading sixth shutout.
Jonathan Dziedzic (1-5) was charged with five runs on nine hits in four innings to take the loss, his second against New Orleans in the last 11 days.
Following an off day Wednesday, the Baby Cakes continue their homestand by welcoming the Round Rock Express for the opener of a four-game set on Thursday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.