Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (64-56) welcomed another local product on Monday night, as Rocklin-native Logan Webb impressed with seven innings of one-run ball in his Triple-A debut against the Nashville Sounds (52-66). Despite the sensational performance, the club fell 3-2 to the visiting Sounds.
The 22-year-old graduate of Rocklin High School lived up to the hype Monday night, striking out seven batters over his seven innings with zero walks, featuring a mid-90's fastball and excellent command of all his pitches. Webb is ranked as the number five prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization, according to mlb.com.
The right-hander got some early help from teammate Zach Green at the plate. Green, a fellow Sacramento-area native (Carmichael), crushed his team leading 25th home run in the bottom of the first to give the River Cats an early 2-0 lead. The offense, however, was shut out for the remainder of the game, going 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position on the evening.
Right-hander Enderson Franco (6-5, 5.98) will get the nod as the River Cats try will try to salvage a series split, while the Sounds will roll with lefty Brock Burke (0-0, 1.80). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
Outfielder Mike Gerber smacked his 35th double of the year on Monday, his 60th extra base hit of the year which ranks fourth best in the Pacific Coast League.
The River Cats have been very good when leading after seven innings this season. The club was 51-8 in such situations coming into tonight's narrow loss to the Sounds.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats Announce 2019 Triple-A Championship Ring Design
- Full 2020 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship