I-Cubs Sweep Bees
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs' magic number to secure the division dropped to 10 as they captured their first series sweep over the Salt Lake Bees (51-70) since 2011 with a 5-2 win Tuesday at Principal Park.
Iowa (66-55) broke the scoring seal with a four-run third inning, getting all four runs with two outs. A Donnie Dewees double and a Robel Garcia walk set up a three-run home run for Phillip Evans, his 16th of the season. Three pitches later, Addison Russell powered a shot to center field for his third in as many games.
Jared Walsh got the Bees on the board in the fourth with a solo shot, but that was the only offense the visitors would collect through the first seven frames. Starter Adbert Alzolay allowed three hits, walked none and fanned seven through 4.0 innings. Walsh's homer was the only blemish on the righty's line.
Dillon Maples (W, 4-4) took over in the fifth and contributed two perfect frames with three strikeouts to hold off the Bees. On the other side of the ball, an Evans leadoff triple in the sixth helped Iowa add insurance as a P.J. Higgins sac fly plated the run.
A Roberto Pena homer in the eighth rounded out the game's scoring, but it wasn't enough for Salt Lake to close the gap. Danny Hultzen allowed one baserunner in a scoreless ninth to earn his third save in as many tries.
- Iowa starters hold a 2.93 ERA (22ER/67.2IP) through the last 13 games.
- Phillip Evans went 2-for-4 with one triple, one home run and three RBI.
- Addison Russell is 6-for-11 with three home runs, four RBI, and a .688 on-base percentage through his last four games.
Iowa has a day off before beginning a four-game set in Memphis Thursday. Chih-Wei Hu is slated for his first start as an Iowa Cub. Follow the game on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.