Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno
FRESNO, California - After being held to two hits through five innings Monday night in Fresno, Calif., the Memphis Redbirds' bats awoke and finished with six runs on 10 hits in a 6-4 win against the Fresno Grizzlies (Nationals).
Memphis has won four-straight games, seven-of-nine, and 10-of-13 overall. With the win, Memphis (55-65) secures its sixth series victory in its last seven played.
With Fresno (54-66) leading 3-0 after scoring a run in the first inning and two more in the second, the Redbirds were quietly held to two hits through their first five at-bats. But the club plated five runs on six hits, all singles, in the top of the sixth inning to take a 5-3 lead. The inning started with four-straight base knocks, and another run was scored on a sacrifice fly.
Fresno got within 5-4 after a run in the home-half, but the Redbirds scored again in the top of the seventh to bring the game to its eventual final score of 6-4.
Kodi Whitley then tossed 2.0 scoreless frames of relief, and Mike Mayers worked a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts to seal the victory.
Each Redbirds position player reached base at least once in the game, with Edmundo Sosa and Rangel Ravelo having two-hit games. Ramon Urias was 1-for-3 with an RBI, extending his hitting streak to a season-high-tying eight games, and Harrison Bader was 1-for-5 and moved his hitting streak to five-straight.
Sosa has a hit in 16 of his last 17 games.
Austin Warner got the win for the Redbirds with 5.0 innings of work, allowing those three early Fresno runs but nothing else. He struck out eight and walked one and threw 60 of his 94 pitches for strikes.
In addition to going 1-for-4, Adolis Garcia walked, scored twice, and stole his 13th base of the season.
The Redbirds and Fresno finish their four-game series tomorrow night at 9:05 (CT). Memphis then returns to AutoZone Park on Thursday to start an 11-game homestand to finish the regular-season slate in Downtown Memphis.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Thursday, August 15 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 16 at 7:05: Sandlot Night with an appearance by Squints from the movie and a showing of the film after the game; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat beef sliders buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals golf umbrella available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals
Saturday, August 17 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 18 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 19 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.