Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Round Rock Express (71-48) soared past the Albuquerque Isotopes (51-69) by a final score of 11-6 on Monday night at Isotopes Park. Express LHP Framber Valdez (4-2, 2.92) set a new all-time Round Rock Express Triple-A franchise record with 13 strikeouts in the winning performance.
Valdez allowed four runs on six hits while walking just one in the win. On the losing side, Isotopes LHP Pat Dean (3-11, 7.39) surrendered four runs on seven hits and a walk in a 4.2-inning start.
RF Kyle Tucker gave Round Rock an early lead as he blasted his 31st home run of the year in the top of the first inning. The two-run shot also scored 2B Myles Straw, who led off the game with a single. After a trio of scoreless innings, E-Train C Garrett Stubbs smoked a leadoff shot to extend the lead to 3-0. Shortly thereafter, Straw hit a double prior to scoring on a single off the bat of SS Jack Mayfield.
The Isotopes broke through in the sixth inning when a Drew Butera double was eventually plated via a two-run homer off the bat of 2B Pat Valaika to bring the home team within 4-2.
However, Round Rock answered with another pair of runs in the seventh. LF Alex De Goti reached base after being hit by a pitch to begin the inning and was quickly plated when 2B Nick Tanielu notched a double. After the runner advanced to third on an Abraham Toro groundout, Mayfield sent a sacrifice fly into right field that allowed the sixth run to score.
Albuquerque inched back in the home half as DH Noel Cuevas hit a two-run home run, scoring RF Drew Weeks, who jumped aboard on a single. In the eighth, SS Elliot Soto notched a triple and eventually scored on a passed ball, cutting the Isotopes deficit to 6-5.
However, Round Rock dropped a five-spot in the final inning to take a comfortable 11-5 lead. All nine E-Train batters stepped up to the plate in the frame and combined for two doubles, two singles and two walks. The big inning was highlighted by Tucker's second home run of the evening, another two-run shot.
Round Rock hopes for a series split in Tuesday night's series finale. Express RHP Jose Urquidy (3-2, 5.57) is set to start against Isotopes LHP Chris Rusin (1-3, 5.93). First pitch at Isotopes Park is scheduled for 7:35 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker
- Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa Joins Round Rock Express for Major League Rehab Assignment on Friday Night
- River Cats Top Express 4-2 in PCL Championship Game Two