Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Round Rock Express (72-48) topped the Albuquerque Isotopes (51-70) 4-2 in their series finale on Tuesday night at Isotopes Park. Express 2B Abraham Toro went 3-5 with an RBI to help fuel the victory.
Round Rock RHP Jose Urquidy (4-2, 5.16) earned the win after surrendering only one run on five hits in a solid 6.0-inning start. The righty fanned nine Isotopes hitters in the outing. Albuquerque LHP Chris Rusin (1-4, 5.94) suffered the loss after allowing four runs on 10 hits in 6.0 innings pitched.
Toro opened the scoring for the Express in the first inning as he reached base on a single prior to advancing to third on a Jack Mayfield single. The next at-bat, RF Kyle Tucker sent a sacrifice fly into center field, allowing Toro to break the scoreless tie. Shortly thereafter, 1B Taylor Jones drew a walk and Rusin threw a wild pitch that allowed the runners to advance. With Mayfield and Jones each in scoring position, 3B Nick Tanielu cleared the bases with a single to put the E-Train ahead 3-0.
After a trio of scoreless frames, CF Drew Ferguson led off the fifth inning with a double and quickly swiped third base. Toro then wasted no time singling in the fourth Express run of the night. However, Isotopes C Drew Butera got the home team on the board in the bottom of the inning with a solo home run.
Albuquerque tacked on another run in the seventh as DH Drew Weeks worked a walk prior to moving from first to third on a Brian Mundell single and eventually hustling home on a wild pitch.
The Isotopes searched for a hero in the ninth, but RHP Felipe Paulino threw a shutout inning to secure 4-2 victory and earn his team-leading seventh save of the season.
After a league-wide off-day on Wednesday, the Express return to Dell Diamond for a four-game series against the Oklahoma City Dodgers (Los Angeles Dodgers affiliate) on Thursday. Round Rock LHP Kent Emanuel (6-1, 4.03) is slated to start game one opposite an Oklahoma City pitcher to be announced. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.