Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans
New Orleans, LA - Ryan Court went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI, but the Tacoma Rainiers fell 10-4 to New Orleans on Tuesday in the final meeting between the clubs at Shrine on Airline before the Baby Cakes relocate to Wichita, KS this offseason.
With this loss, Tacoma drops to 53-68. The win for New Orleans brings their record to 65-54. Joe Gunkel (6-1) picked up the win for the Baby Cakes. Mike Wright (1-3) took the loss for the Rainiers.
The Rainiers got on the board first, beginning in the second on a run-scoring single off the bat of Jaycob Brugman.
The Rainiers gave up their lead, but got back into the scoring game in the sixth trailing, 7-1. Tacoma picked up three runs in the frame, buoyed by a single that brought in two from Court.
The Baby Cakes built on their lead after the sixth, scoring three more runs on the way to a victory.
Aaron Northcraft acquitted himself well in relief for the Rainiers, throwing one shutout inning while limiting New Orleans to no hits, walking none and striking out two.
Court led the way offensively for Tacoma, going 2-for-4 with a double and two RBs. His two hits improve his batting average to .279 this season. Brugman compiled a standout day at the dish as well, going 1-for-3 with an RBI. Jordan Pacheco also chipped in for Tacoma, going 1-for-4 with an RBI. New Orleans' lineup was led by Peter O'Brien, who went 1-for-3 with a home run and two RBIs.
Ryan Garton also pitched well for the Rainiers, throwing one scoreless inning while limiting New Orleans to no hits, walking none and striking out one.
All told, Tacoma plated their four runs on six hits, one of which went for extra bases. The Rainiers also drew two free passes from New Orleans pitchers.
The Rainiers return home for their next match-up, welcoming the Fresno Grizzlies to Tacoma on Thursday at 7:05 PM PDT for the start of their final homestand of the season. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Ryan Court of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Dodgers' Offense Continues to Roll with 10-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Top Isotopes 4-2 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Fall, Split Series with Express - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kevin Cron's History Not Enough for Reno in OKC - Reno Aces
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Scale Rainiers to Take Series - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-65) at Fresno Grizzlies (54-66) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces, Vitalant Partner to Host Third-Annual Battle of the Badges Blood Drive - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Fans Generous in Vitalant Blood Drive - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at El Paso Chihuahuas - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Tops Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aviators Best Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- I-Cubs Sweep Bees - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Sweep Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (52-66) at Sacramento River Cats (64-56) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Missions Penultimate Homestand Begins Thursday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Host Albuquerque & Reno (August 15-21) - Las Vegas Aviators
- Memphis musters up 6-4 victory over Grizz on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Clinch Series Win at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- Webb's River Cats debut spoiled by late Sounds comeback - Sacramento River Cats
- Gettys Launches Pair of Bombs to Pace Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Solak Leads Sounds to Win with Homer in Ninth - Nashville Sounds
- Express End Isotopes Winning Streak - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chihuahuas Take a Bite out of the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Prevails in 11-6 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Shutout Bees - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener