Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record
TOLEDO, Ohio - Taking the ice for the Toledo Walleye in their penultimate regular season matchup against the Brampton Beast on Saturday, Shane Berschbach passed Toledo Hockey Hall of Famer Kyle Rogers (319) for the most games played in franchise history with his 320th regular season appearance.
An integral part of Toledo's recent resurgence, the 27-year-old has helped lead the Walleye to five consecutive postseason berths, four division titles, two conference championship appearances and a pair of Brabham Cups.
In addition to representing the Walleye more times than any other player, Berschbach is the club's regular season career leader with 234 assists and 330 points, while tallying the second-most goals with 96. Berschbach also ranks among the franchise's top performers in the postseason with 55 games played (T1st), 14 goals (3rd), 38 assists (1st) and 52 points (1st).
Berschbach has earned numerous individual accolades during his career, including a place on the All-ECHL First Team in 2015-16 and All-ECHL Second Team honors the following season. He is a two-time ECHL Player of the Week recipient, and was named ECHL Player of the Month in January 2016. Along with his on-ice distinctions, Berschbach is one of two players in league history to collect multiple ECHL Sportsmanship Awards, which he gained in 2015-16 and 2016-17.
The West Bloomfield, Mich., native made an instant impact in his first professional postseason, establishing franchise records with 17 assists and 25 points in the 2015 Kelly Cup Playoffs. He also shattered his own career-highs during the 2016-17 regular season with 68 helpers and 86 points, both of which remain atop the leaderboard prominently displayed inside the Huntington Center.
Berschbach is one of six skaters to play in five seasons with the Walleye, a feat accomplished by A.J. Jenks, John May, Evan Rankin, Rogers and first-year assistant coach Alden Hirschfeld.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.