Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne
Ft. Wayne, IN- The Cincinnati Cyclones (51-13-5-3) dropped their final game of the regular season, 5-3, to the Ft. Wayne Komets on Saturday night. Forwards Pascal Aquin and Alex Wideman, along with defenseman Anthony Florentino netted the goals for Cincinnati.
The Komets struck early and often in this one, taking a 3-0 lead after the first on goals from defenseman Ryan Lowney, and forwards Anthony Nellis and Shawn Szydlowski.
After forward Kyle Hope gave the Komets a 4-0 lead early in the first, Cincinnati broke up the shutout at the 18:03 mark when Aquin went to the net and jammed in a loose puck to cut Ft. Wayne's lead to 4-1. Just 48 seconds later, the Cyclones struck again when Florentino came down the right side below the goal line and threw a shot off the back of Ft. Wayne goaltender Zach Fucale and in to trim Cincinnati's deficit to 4-2 after 40 minutes.
Cincinnati continued to battle in the third, and just 47 seconds into the third period the power play struck when Wideman snapped a shot off the crossbar and in to pull the Cyclones to within a goal, 4-3.
The Cyclones got a myriad of chances in the third, outshooting Ft. Wayne 16-5 in the period. The Komets received the insurance goal from forward Justin Hodgman to go up 5-3, sealing the win.
Cincinnati outshot the Komets, 40-22 on the evening, with goaltender Ty Rimmer stopping 17 in the loss. Cincinnati begins the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club next Friday night against the Kalamazoo Wings in Game 1 of the Central Division Semifinals. Face-off is slated for 7:35pm ET at U.S. Bank Arena.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Buffalo Sabres & Rochester Americans
- Cyclones Sign Taylor Crunk
- Cyclones Season Delayed to January 15 with Announcement of Split-Season Format
- Mason Mitchell Returns to Cyclones for 2020-2021
- Cyclones Sign Defenseman Sean Giles