Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen
Wichita, KS - Wichita scored four unanswered goals, three of which came from Stefan Fournier, to walk out with a 4-1 victory on Saturday night against Allen at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Fournier recorded the natural hat trick while Lane Bauer and Ryan Van Stralen each tallied assists in the win
The two teams picked up where they left off in the physical department, combining for 26 penalty minutes in the opening frame. Allen got on the board first at 7:52 as Spencer Asuchak drove the net and found a rebound for his 19th of the season to make it 1-0.
In the second, Fournier tied the contest at 1:34. He came out of the penalty box, caught a long outlet pass from Bauer and went down on a two-on-one rush. He out-waited a sliding defenseman, fired a shot and put home his rebound for his 16th of the season.
Wichita added three more in the third period to race past the Americans. Fornuer recorded his first of the third after getting a nice pass up the wing and took it hard to the net. He beat Hafner through the five-hole to make it 2-1. Fournier completed the hat trick at 9:55 when he came down on a two-on-one with Van Stralen. He one-timed the puck through the five-hole of Hafner to make it 3-1. Steven Iacobellis increased the lead to 4-1 on the power play at 15:04 as he caught a pass from Mark MacMillan and beat Hafner for his 22nd of the season. The final horn sounded and the Thunder grabbed the weekend sweep against the Americans. Right after the final whistle, the teams got into a post-game brawl with several altercations erupting.
Wichita and Allen combined for 162 penalty minutes. Fournier nets the second hat trick of the season for the Thunder. MacMillan has four points in his last two games. Keoni Texeira added another power play assist.
The Thunder finishes the regular season tomorrow afternoon on the road against the Tulsa Olers starting at 4:05 p.m.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.