K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1
Tulsa, OK. - A three-goal second period doomed the K-Wings on Friday night as they fell 6-1 in the regular season finale.
Kalamazoo finishes the regular season in fourth place in the Central Division, and will face the Cincinnati Cyclones in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
The teams stayed deadlocked at zero through the majority of the opening period before the Oilers broke the ice. Alex Globke entered the zone and cut across the center snapping a shot past Jake Hildebrand to give Tulsa the 1-0 lead.
Tulsa doubled the lead with a power play goal for the second straight night. Alex Dostie found Adam Pleskach in front of the net all alone who capitalized to make it 2-0. Three and a half minutes later the K-Wings got on the board. Kyle Blaney connected with Michael Neal in front of the net who tipped the puck into the top corner for is ninth goal of the season, bringing Kalamazoo within one. After Neal's goal however, all the scoring belonged to the Oilers. Before the second period ended the Oilers scored twice more to make it a 4-1 game. Goals from Jared Thomas and Alex Kromm gave the Oilers a three-goal lead heading into the second intermission. In the third Thomas netted his second goal of the game to extend the lead to 5-1 before Mike McKee capped off the scoring in the final minute of play.
Jake Hildebrand stopped 29 of 35 shots in the defeat, while Tulsa's Devin Williams stopped 28 of 29 in the victory.
The K-Wings end the regular season with a record of 36-31-2-3, compiling 77 points, good enough for fourth place in the Central Division. Kalamazoo will face the Cincinnati Cyclones in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Playoff tickets are available now for games three, four, and five and Wings Event Center by visiting kwings.com or at the Wings Event Center Box Office. Kalamazoo Wings full season tickets are available now for the 2019-20 season! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.