Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen
ESTERO, Fla. - In search of their 50th win of the year, the Florida Everblades (49-16-5-1, 104 pts.) host the Jacksonville Icemen (36-30-2-2, 76 pts.) on Saturday night at Hertz Arena to close out the regular season.
Game 72: Everblades vs. Jacksonville
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Listen: WJBX - News, Talk & More
Social: Twitter | #JAXvsFLA
Last Time Out
Michael Downing scored his first goal of the year to lift the Everblades to a 3-2 overtime win over the Orlando Solar Bears on Friday at Hertz Arena in the final regular-season game between the in-state rivals. Trailing 2-0 in the first period, Florida scored the final three goals of the game to earn the split in the 12-game season series. Alex Tonge notched a goal and an assist for his second straight multi-point game, while Jeremy Helvig made 22 saves for his 27th win of the year, tying a franchise record for a 'Blades rookie netminder.
Players to Watch
Blake Winiecki (FLA) - The rookie forward has been sensational for the 'Blades this season and especially so over the last month. Entering Saturday, the St. Cloud State University product has registered points in seven straight games, which is the second-longest point streak by an Everblades player this season. He has put together four different point streaks of six or more games and has recorded multiple points in 13 contests this year. Winiecki ranks fifth among ECHL rookies with 59 points (25g-34a).
Wacey Rabbit (JAX) - The 12th-year pro is Jacksonville's leading scorer with 60 points (29g-31a) in 70 games this season and has yet to miss a game. Rabbit also leads all Jacksonville players with nine points (5g-4a) in head-to-head matchups against the 'Blades this year. The Lethbridge, Alberta, native has played a bulk of his career in the AHL, suiting up in 309 career games and posting 95 career points (36g-59a) in the AHL.
Saturday marks the 13th meeting between the two teams this season, meaning Jacksonville is Florida's most-played opponent of the year. The Everblades hold a 21-3-2 all-time record against the Icemen and have posted an 8-3-1 mark against Jacksonville this season. Home ice has played a key role in the season series, with Florida going 5-0-0 at Hertz Arena and Jacksonville posting a 4-3-0 mark at Veterans Memorial Arena.
Debut for Weninger
Rookie goaltender Jeremy Helvig has shouldered a bulk of the load of late for Florida, appearing in 11 of the last 14 games, but the 'Blades will go to Evan Weninger in net on Saturday for the regular-season finale. Weninger recently completed a four-year career at the University of Nebraska Omaha, where he set school records for career saves (3,260) and shutouts (8). He played in 115 games for the Mavericks from 2015-19.
Home Ice Advantage
The Everblades have been a tough team to beat at home in the three-year tenure of head coach Brad Ralph. Florida has racked up 78 home wins since the start of the 2016-17 campaign, a win total that now leads the ECHL in that time frame. The Toledo Walleye have 77 wins over the last three seasons and are the next closest team to Florida. The 'Blades currently sit second in the league with 26 home wins this season. Florida's highest home win total under Ralph was 27 victories last year, and it can match that total by winning on Saturday night.
Promising Penalty Kill
Since yielding power-play goals in three straight games from Feb. 27-March 2, including a season-high three power-play goals on March 1 against Orlando, Florida's penalty kill has been dominant. The 'Blades have allowed just four power-play strikes over their last 13 games and have converted on 92.9% (52-of-56) of their penalty kills in that 13-game span. Florida has been even better in its last seven games, converting on 28-of-29 penalty kills (96.7%) and putting together perfect performances in six of those seven games. In terms of league rankings, Florida is eighth overall on the penalty kill at 84.6%, while it is fourth in home penalty kill rate at 86.8%.
Florida opens postseason play with a pair of home games this coming week, hosting tilts on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m. against an opponent to be decided.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club and 2019-20 Season Tickets and Flexible Packages are on sale now!
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fit into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Add Forwards Koper, Craggs to Roster
- 'Blades Weekly: Battle for First Place Set for this Weekend
- Killer Cam: Johnson's Shutout Leads 'Blades to Fourth Straight Win
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series