Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City
RAPID CITY, S.D. - The Kansas City Mavericks closed out the 2018-19 ECHL regular season with a 2-1 overtime loss to the Rapid City Rush. Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider turned in a 33-save performance and Mavericks forward Joey Sides scored the lone goal for Kansas City in the Mavericks final regular season game before the first round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club.
The Mavs and Rush did not score in the first period, but both teams combined for nine penalties and 18 penalty minutes in the opening period. Rapid City outshot Kansas City in the first, 11-9.
Kansas City broke the scoreless deadlock early in the second period, as forward Joey Sides tapped in a feed from forward Greg Betzold 1:14 into the period. Betzold and Corey Durocher picked up the assists on the goal. The Rush tied the game later in the period on a goal from Chris Leibinger at the 6:35 mark of the second. Justin Faryna and Cedric Montminy assisted on the goal. The two teams headed into the final period of the regular season tied at one goal apiece.
Both teams were kept off the scoreboard in the third period, and the game headed to a three-on-three overtime period. After several minutes of back-and-forth action, the Rush broke through when Montminy beat Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider for the game winning goal with 1:19 left in overtime.
Schneider finished the night with 33 saves on 35 shots. Kansas City converted one out of six power play opportunities on the evening. With the overtime loss, the Mavericks finished in the fourth and final playoff spot in the Mountain Division with a final regular season record of 36-30-4-2 with 78 points.
Kansas City now turns its eyes to the postseason, where they will await either the Tulsa Oilers or Idaho Steelheads in the first round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club. The Mavericks will not return home to Silverstein Eye Centers Arena until April 17 for their first home playoff game. Opponent is to be determined. The dates and times for the home playoff games are as follows:
Game Three - April 17 vs. TBD Faceoff: 7:05 p.m.
Game Four - April 19 vs. TBD Faceoff: 7:05 p.m.
Game Five - April 20 vs. TBD* Faceoff: 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs' Strong Third Not Enough in Boise, Lose 5-3 to Steelheads
- Mavs Hire Jeff Volkman as Interim Assistant Coach
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Head West for Big Sky Showdowns
- Mavs Skid Continues in Sunday Matinee against Tulsa with 5-2 Loss
- Mavs Defeated by Utah Saturday Night, 4-1