Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title
TULSA, OK - Three second period goals helped the Tulsa Oilers (42-23-6) sweep the Kalamazoo Wings (36-31-5) with a 6-1 win Saturday at the BOK Center. The Oilers enter the final day of the regular season needing just one point to win their division for the first time since 1975-76.
Tulsa broke a scoreless deadlock late in the first period when Alex Globke snapped a quick wrist shot from the top of the left circle past Jake Hildebrand with 1:54 left in the frame. The Oilers held an 11-6 shots advantage through 20 minutes.
Adam Pleskach fired a quick shot from between the circles into the net for his league-leading 14th power play goal 9:07 into the second period to make it 2-0. Kalamazoo cut Tulsa's lead to one when Kyle Blaney centered a pass and Michael Neal deflected it into the net with 6:23 left in the stanza.
The Oilers bumped their lead back to two goal when Alex Dostie centered a pass from beneath the goal line for Jared Thomas, who was left all alone. Thomas ripped the shot past Hildebrand for his 20th goal of his rookie season. Alex Kromm made it 4-1 one minute later with a wrist shot that tipped off Hildebrand's glove and skipped across the goal line. Tulsa carried the three-goal cushion into the third.
Thomas blasted a shot from the left point for his second goal of the night to make it 5-1 early in the third period and Mike McKee completed the scoring with the sixth Oilers goal in the final minute of the game. Devin Williams stopped 28 of 29 shots for his 20th win of the season, as the Oilers completed the weekend sweep.
The Oilers wrap up the regular season Sunday at 4:05pm with one final game against the rival Wichita Thunder in the StoneWolf Casino Cup series. Following the game, fans can skate with the players on the York Plumbing Ice and get autographs one last time before the playoffs start next Thursday.
First round playoff tickets are on sale now! The Tulsa Oilers have clinched home ice advantage in the Mountain Division semifinals of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub. Game 1 is scheduled for Thursday, April 11 at 7:05pm at the BOK Center, followed by Game 2 Sunday, April 14 at 4:05pm at the BOK Center. Call 918-632-7825 or visit www.tulsaoilers.com to purchase playoff tickets.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. 2019-20 season tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18
- Oilers Defeat Steelheads in Shootout Thriller on Autism Awareness Night
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City
- Oilers Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton from Orlando in Exchange for Eric Drapluk
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday