Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (41-24-5) finished the home portion of the 2018-19 regular season with a 3-1 win over the Utah Grizzlies (35-26-9) on Friday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of 5,229 fans, the 17th sellout of the regular season.
After a scoreless but physical first period, scoring picked up in the second period with both teams cashing in on the power play. At 12:53, Grizzlies defenseman Kevin Davis opened the scoring with a power play goal from the blue line to jump out to a 1-0 lead. The Steelheads cashed in on just their second power play attempt of the night at 18:57 when forward A.J. White flipped a shot off the back of netminder Kevin Carr from behind the net and banked the puck in, tying the game at 1-1.
The Steelheads jumped ahead in the third period and found the game-winning goal at 12:59 when defenseman Jeff King stepped up into play and rifled a shot from the right circle, taking the lead at 2-1. Steelheads forward Spencer Naas finished the night with an empty net goal at 19:12 to ensure the 3-1 win over the Grizzlies.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (26-12-0) turned aside 23 of 24 shots in the win. Grizzlies netminder Kevin Carr stopped 20 of 21 shots in 38:56 minutes, and Alex Leclerc (0-1-0) halted 9 of 10 shots in 19:55 minutes.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies head to Maverik Center to continue their three-game series on Saturday, Apr. 6 at 7:05 p.m. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" and ECHL.TV.
The Steelheads open the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, on Friday, Apr. 12 and Saturday, Apr. 13 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets throughout the postseason are on sale now! For series-long or individual tickets, contact Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Americans
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers
- Steelheads Open Midwest Swing with 4-1 Win over Thunder
- Cuglietta, Vala Recalled to Texas Stars Ahead of Road Weekend