Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3
The Growlers fell 4-3 to the Railers in what would be their final trip to Worcester this season.
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev opened the scoring just 1:45 into the first period, the tally would mark his first professional goal in just his second game. J.J. Piccinich added a powerplay marker for the Growlers just 7 minutes later to put the Newfoundland squad up 2-0 halfway thought the first frame.
Worcester responded at 11:47 of the first period as Holmstrom beat Growlers newcomer, Eric Levine over the right pad to cut the Growlers lead in half.
Giorgio Estephan gained back the 2-goal advantage and chased Railers goalie Mitch Gillam from the cage just a minute and twenty seconds after the Holstrom tally. The first period would end with a 3-1 Growlers lead.
Gillam was back in the Railers net to start the second and he put forth a strong performance after getting yanked as he went on to stop every shot for the rest of the game to finish with 27 saves on 30 attempts.
The Railers went on to score 3 unanswered goals, including the game winner from the stick of Tommy Kelley. The Kellely goal did come with some controversy as the puck appeared to touch off the mesh above the glass in the Growlers zone, which would normally result in a stoppage of play.
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev scored his first pro goal and was named the game's third star.
The Growlers conclude their regular season tomorrow versus Maine.
The three stars were 3 - S. Der-Arguchintsev (NFL), 2 - J. Holmstrom (WOR) and 1 -T. Kelley (WOR)
The Newfoundland Growlers final road trip conclude their inaugural regular season schedule tomorrow afternoon in Portland as the they take on the Maine Mariners. Puck drop is 4:30 p.m. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rush End Season with Thrilling OT Win - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Taken Down in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- 50 Club: 'Blades Silence IceMen to Hit 50 Wins for Second Straight Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Home Finale vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Salvage Point in Regular Season Finale, Losing 2-1 in OT to Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Stun Atlanta with Last Minute Goal - South Carolina Stingrays
- Recap: Cyclones Fall in Season Finale in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Drop Finale 6-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Win Season Finale Thanks to Three Point Night from Rodriguez - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Sweep Kalamazoo to Inch Closer to Division Title - Tulsa Oilers
- Count 'Em up - Big Night for Walleye Records - Toledo Walleye
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Fuel Outlast Nailers in Season Finale - Indy Fuel
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Collect One Point in Home Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Fall in Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Send Big Crowd Home Happy with 4-3 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Stumble in the Railyard, 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Can't Hold Lead in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Finish Regular Season with 5-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Fall in Manchester, Dashing Playoff Hopes - Maine Mariners
- Walleye's Berschbach Sets Franchise Record - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Regular Season with Home Battle against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Regular Season Wraps Up, Kulbakov Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt - Reading Royals
- Americans Shutout by Wichita 4-0 - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Win Penalty-Filled Affair - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads Close Home Regular Season with 3-1 Win over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.