Utah Grizzlies Weekly News and Notes
In a Nutshell
Utah swept two games from Phoenix this weekend. The Grizzlies have won eight games in a row. Utah is currently 10-3 on the season. The Grizzlies wrap-up their three-game home stand Thursday with Stockton. After Thursday, the Grizzlies hit the road for 7 games, returning home December 10.
Three Stars of the Week
1. James Laux (1 goal, 3 assists, +3)
2. Justin Eddy (2-0, 1.50 GAA, .933 save percentage)
3. Barret Ehgoetz (1 game-winning goal), 1 assist, +2)
8 In a Row
The Utah Grizzlies have currently won eight games in a row. That is one victory off of the team record, set in November and December of 1995, when the Grizzlies were in the IHL.
Eddy in Net
Friday, the Grizzlies put reigning ECHL Reebok Hockey Goaltender of the Week Alfie Michaud on 7-Day Injured Reserve. Justin Eddy came off of 7-Day Injured Reserve for Utah and earned both wins this weekend for the Grizzlies. Eddy improved to 3-1 on the season with a 2.18 GAA and a .926 save percentage. He currently ranks fourth in the league among active goaltenders. Calling Eddy a backup goaltender could be somewhat misleading. Last year, in his first pro season, he played 12 games with Portland of the AHL and accumulated a record of 14-7-4 with South Carolina of the ECHL. The Stingrays, with Eddy between the pipes, advanced to the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Alfie Still Atop
Even with Michaud not playing this weekend, the former Vancouver Canuck still leads the ECHL with seven wins. He is currently ranked fifth in the ECHL in minutes played (531).
Matt Craig (3) and Barret Ehgoetz (2) are currently ranked first and second among rookies in game-winning goals. Despite a quiet weekend points wise, Craig still leads the league with ten goals, while leading rookies with 15 points. Ehgoetz (5 goals, 4 assists) was acquired in a trade with Toledo just days prior to the start of the season.
What a Weekend, What a Great Start to the Year!
With four points (1 goal, 3 assists) this weekend, Utah defenseman James Laux is currently tied atop the ECHL in scoring by defensemen with 15 points (5 goals, 10 assists). Laux has scored in 12 of Utah's 15 games, and currently has a five-game point streak (his season high is six). The Grizzlies acquired Laux three days prior to the start of the season in a trade with the Wheeling Nailers. Saturday, he had a hand in all three of Utah's first period power-play goals (1goal, 2 assists).
Logjam at the Top
Four Grizzlies players are currently tied for the team lead in scoring. Matt Craig (10 goals, 5 assists), Louis Dumont (6 goals, 9 assists), James Laux (5 goals, 10 assists) and Jeff Miles (3 goals, 12 assists) all have 15 points. All four players are currently near the top of the league in scoring.
Stanley Cup Coming
When the Grizzlies host Stockton on Thanksgiving Day, the Stanley Cup will also be in the building. The appearance is another addition to the National Hockey League's charitable efforts, which have included a joint donation with the NHL Players' Association of $1 million to the Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief. All proceeds will benefit charities assisting in hurricane relief efforts including, but not limited to, the Red Cross, Salvation Army and United Way.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 21, 2005
- RoadRunners Fry Salmon Kings 3-2 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Victoria Salmon Kings Week in Review - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Turkey With a Side Of Puck - Stockton Thunder
- St. Jacques and Munce Star in 3 Point Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Fans Asked to Bring Non-Perishable Food Items to Tomorrow's Game vs. Las Vegas - Fresno Falcons
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Condors Community Update, Week of November 21st - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors First Jersey Auction of the Season Brings in $16,650 - Bakersfield Condors
- DaSilva Assigned By Lowell - San Diego Gulls
- Utah Grizzlies Change Radio Stations - Utah Grizzlies
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Idaho Leads Alaska, Utah In West - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Everblades weekly - Florida Everblades
- Gulls Agree To Terms With Kim And Reimers - San Diego Gulls
- Sanford Named NHL Defensive Player of the Week - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Organization Fined - Toledo Walleye
- Wranglers weekly update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gulls weekly update - San Diego Gulls
- Titans weekly review - Trenton Devils
- Ice Dogs weekly update - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Inferno weekly update - Columbia Inferno
- Ice Pilots go 1-1 this past week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Utah Grizzlies Weekly News and Notes - Utah Grizzlies
- Checkers weekly update - Charlotte Checkers
- Gladiators weekly review - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- This week in Nailers Hockey - Wheeling Nailers
- Reading Royals weekly update - Reading Royals
- Ice Pilots knock off Lynx 2-1 - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Grizzlies Win Eighth Straight, 4-2 Over Phoenix - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.