Checkers weekly update
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Charlotte Checkers dropped two games to the Florida Everblades on Friday and Saturday by scores of 2-5 and 3-4, respectively. Goalie Jeff Glass was recalled to Binghamton before Saturday's contest and the Checkers started Pat Berrigan, who hadn't been with the team since training camp, in the net. The Checkers got goals from Mike Bayrack and Rory Rawlyk on Friday night and Peter Worrell, Juris Stals and Bryan Rodney on Saturday. The Checkers opened the season with eight-of-nine games on the road and will return to action at St. Lawrence Homes Home Ice at Charlotte Bobcats Arena Tuesday as they host the Gwinnett Gladiators. The Checkers will travel to face the South Carolina Stingrays on Wednesday, return home to host the Florida Everblades on Friday and round out the week with a trip to face the Augusta Lynx on Saturday.
0-2-0, 0 pts
Charlotte 2 @ Florida 5
Charlotte 3 @ Florida 4
Friday, November 18, 2005 @ Florida, L, 2-5 The Florida Everblades scored five, unanswered goals in the third period, erasing a 2-0 deficit en route to a 5-2 victory over the Charlotte Checkers Friday night in Fort Myers, Florida. Ernie Hartleib scored the game-winner midway through the final period, and Steve Saviano added two, empty-net goals in the win. Former Checkers forward Phil Aucoin and Dan Sisca added single goals for the Everblades.
Charlotte got its two goals from Mike Bayrack and Rory Rawlyk in dropping its second straight game on a three-game road trip. The Checkers have played seven of their first eight games away from home. Checkers goalie Jeff Glass took the loss making 27 saves, while Florida netminder Phil Osaer notched the win with 24 saves. Saturday, November 19, 2005 @ Florida, L, 3-4 The Charlotte Checkers made a valiant comeback attempt Saturday night, only to fall short in a 4-3 loss to the Florida Everblades in the second game of a weekend series. Trailing by three goals late in the second period, the Checkers scored twice before the final horn would sound but could not get the tying goal. The loss was Charlotte's third straight.
The Everblades built a 4-1 lead before the Checkers would mount their comeback. A late-second period goal by Peter Worrell cut the Florida lead to 4-2 after 40 minutes. Bryan Rodney's short-handed goal midway through the third period brought Charlotte to within one goal. The Checkers had a golden opportunity to tie the game with a two-man advantage in the final 1:57 of the contest. Charlotte came close with Ryan Cuthbert missing a wide-open net and Rory Rawlyk hitting the crossbar, but the Checkers were denied the tying goal. Checkers rookie goalie Pat Berrigan, making his first ECHL start, was nervous at the start but settled down to play a good game making 32 saves while taking the loss. Florida goalie Craig Kowalski made 35 saves in gaining the victory. Bogdan Rudenko, Paul Cabana, Dan Cisca and Ernie Hartleib scored the Florida goals, while Juris Stals had a goal and an assist for the Checkers
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 vs. Gwinnett Gladiators, 7:00 pm ET
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 @ South Carolina Stingrays, 7:00 pm ET
Friday, November 25, 2005 vs. Florida Everblades, 7:00 pm ET
Saturday, November 26, 2005 @ Augusta Lynx, 7:00 pm ET
The Checkers lost goalie Jeff Glass as he was recalled to Binghamton (AHL) on November 19th.
Goalie Pat Berrigan was added to the roster after being released at the end of training camp. Berrigan had been with Jacksonville of the SPHL this season.
Peter Worrell scored his first goal with the Checkers in his third game with the team after being reassigned by Hartford (AHL).
Goals: Two Players Tied (4): Jessiman, Hugh; Rawlyk, Rory
Assists: Smith, Kenton (6)
Points: Two Players Tied (7): Cuthbert, Ryan; Jamieson, Dusty
Plus/Minus: Ortmeyer, Jake (3)
PIM: Kozak, Rick (29)
Wins: Glass, Jeff (2)
GAA: Glass, Jeff (2.35)
Save Pct.: Glass, Jeff (0.933)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 21, 2005
- RoadRunners Fry Salmon Kings 3-2 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Victoria Salmon Kings Week in Review - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Turkey With a Side Of Puck - Stockton Thunder
- St. Jacques and Munce Star in 3 Point Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Fans Asked to Bring Non-Perishable Food Items to Tomorrow's Game vs. Las Vegas - Fresno Falcons
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Condors Community Update, Week of November 21st - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors First Jersey Auction of the Season Brings in $16,650 - Bakersfield Condors
- DaSilva Assigned By Lowell - San Diego Gulls
- Utah Grizzlies Change Radio Stations - Utah Grizzlies
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Idaho Leads Alaska, Utah In West - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Everblades weekly - Florida Everblades
- Gulls Agree To Terms With Kim And Reimers - San Diego Gulls
- Sanford Named NHL Defensive Player of the Week - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Organization Fined - Toledo Walleye
- Wranglers weekly update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gulls weekly update - San Diego Gulls
- Titans weekly review - Trenton Devils
- Ice Dogs weekly update - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Inferno weekly update - Columbia Inferno
- Ice Pilots go 1-1 this past week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Utah Grizzlies Weekly News and Notes - Utah Grizzlies
- Checkers weekly update - Charlotte Checkers
- Gladiators weekly review - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- This week in Nailers Hockey - Wheeling Nailers
- Reading Royals weekly update - Reading Royals
- Ice Pilots knock off Lynx 2-1 - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Grizzlies Win Eighth Straight, 4-2 Over Phoenix - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton