RoadRunners Fry Salmon Kings 3-2
Phoenix, Ariz. - Peter Trovato scored the go-ahead and eventual game-winning goal 1:13 into the third period and goaltender Mike Mole earned his first professional victory as the Phoenix RoadRunners snapped an eight game winless streak by defeating the Victoria Salmon Kings 3-2 before 3,243 at America West Arena in ECHL action Monday.
After a scoreless first period, Victoria (5-9-1) struck first when Dustan Heintz collected the loose puck in the front of the net and slapped it past RoadRunners goaltender Mike Mole at 5:41 of the second for a 1-0 lead. Chad Dameworth extended the lead to 2-0 when his slap shot from the left point beat a screened Mole to the glove side at 9:17. Phoenix (4-8-2) would respond just 1:43 later when off a turnover behind the cage, Dean Tiltgen fed Shawn Snider who's first shot was denied by goaltender BJ Boxma, but Snider pushed his rebound off Boxma's mask and into the net at 11:00 of the second frame to cut the deficit to 2-1. The RoadRunners would net the equalizer at 15:35 of the period when BJ Gaustad stripped a Victoria defenseman of the puck, broke in alone on Boxma, and beat the Salmon Kings net-minder with a backhand shot off the glove to tie the score at 2-2.
Trovato gave the RoadRunners the lead for good when he pushed in Cory Pecker's rebound past Boxma with Phoenix shorthanded just 1:13 into the third period.
Victoria out-shot Phoenix 26-19. Mole stopped 24 shots to improve to 1-6-2 on the season. The RoadRunners went 0-3 on the power play while holding the Salmon Kings to 0-6 on the man-advantage.
Notes: Phoenix's win was their first since a 7-1 thrashing of the San Diego Gulls on October 29...Trovato's goal gave the RoadRunners their first lead in a game going back to the 15:39 mark of the second period against Long Beach on November 9...Defenseman Ed Hill came off the seven-day injured reserve prior to tonight's game. He was replaced by center Jason Deskins who went on the 7-day IR retroactive to last Friday.
Phoenix will host "Turn Back the Clock Night" at 7:11PM on Saturday, November 26 against the Long Beach Ice Dogs. The RoadRunners will wear vintage sweaters from the 1977-78 season when they captured the Pacific Hockey League Championship. These jerseys will be auctioned off following the game. It's also the second of six "Past Great Nights" at America West Arena as the RoadRunners honor former International Hockey League star and team broadcaster Darren Veitch. Fans will receive a commemorative Darren Veitch pint glass upon exiting the arena. In addition, the Stanley Cup, hockey's most prestigious trophy, will be on display at AWA as part of its 20 city ECHL tour to help raise money and awareness for the hurricane relief efforts. Proceeds benefit charities assisting in hurricane relief efforts including, but not limited to, the American Red Cross, The Salvation Army and the United Way. The Tour is another addition to the National Hockey League's charitable efforts which have included a joint donation with the NHL Players' Association of $1 million to the Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief.
For more information or to order tickets, call (602) 462-GOAL or purchase online at www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 21, 2005
- RoadRunners Fry Salmon Kings 3-2 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Victoria Salmon Kings Week in Review - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Turkey With a Side Of Puck - Stockton Thunder
- St. Jacques and Munce Star in 3 Point Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Fans Asked to Bring Non-Perishable Food Items to Tomorrow's Game vs. Las Vegas - Fresno Falcons
- Fresno Falcons Weekly Update - Fresno Falcons
- Condors Community Update, Week of November 21st - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors First Jersey Auction of the Season Brings in $16,650 - Bakersfield Condors
- DaSilva Assigned By Lowell - San Diego Gulls
- Utah Grizzlies Change Radio Stations - Utah Grizzlies
- Lynx This Week - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Idaho Leads Alaska, Utah In West - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads weekly update - Idaho Steelheads
- Everblades weekly - Florida Everblades
- Gulls Agree To Terms With Kim And Reimers - San Diego Gulls
- Sanford Named NHL Defensive Player of the Week - ECHL
- Toledo Storm Organization Fined - Toledo Walleye
- Wranglers weekly update - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gulls weekly update - San Diego Gulls
- Titans weekly review - Trenton Devils
- Ice Dogs weekly update - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Inferno weekly update - Columbia Inferno
- Ice Pilots go 1-1 this past week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Utah Grizzlies Weekly News and Notes - Utah Grizzlies
- Checkers weekly update - Charlotte Checkers
- Gladiators weekly review - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- This week in Nailers Hockey - Wheeling Nailers
- Reading Royals weekly update - Reading Royals
- Ice Pilots knock off Lynx 2-1 - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Grizzlies Win Eighth Straight, 4-2 Over Phoenix - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.