Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has signed forward Jeremy Ebobisse to a multi-year contract extension.
In his third season with the Timbers in 2019, Ebobisse, 23, finished tied for first on the team with 11 goals and was the only player on the roster to appear in all 34 league games. Ebobisse set career highs in appearances (34), starts (25), minutes played (2,310) and goals scored (11) during the MLS regular-season campaign. Across all competitions, Ebobisse registered 12 goals and two assists across 39 appearances (30 starts) in 2019. Notably, Ebobisse was one of three players in MLS age 22 or younger with 11 or more goals scored in league play last year.
"Jeremy is a proven player with a very bright future," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "We have a great deal of confidence in Jeremy as a person and a player, and we are thrilled to have him re-sign the with Timbers and reward him for his dedication, professionalism and hard work."
The Bethesda, Md., native has tallied 17 goals and nine assists in 72 appearances (45 starts) across all competitions for Portland since being selected with the No. 4 overall pick in the first round of the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. In 2018, Ebobisse appeared in nine league matches (five starts) and tallied two goals and two assists for the Timbers. Ebobisse also spent part of 2018 on loan to T2, the Timbers' USL Championship affiliate, where he registered four goals and one assist in 18 appearances (12 starts). In 2017, his first season in Portland, Ebobisse registered a goal and three assists in 14 appearances (two starts). Ebobisse logged his first goal and assist for the Timbers in a 2-1 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on July 23, 2017.
"Jebo is a talented player who has developed into a great example for other young players," said Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. "His versatility at the point of attack will be a strength and his abilities complement our attacking group this year. I am very pleased that Jebo will continue to be a part of the Portland Timbers."
At the international level, Ebobisse has earned one cap with the U.S. Men's National Team, starting and playing 66 minutes in a 3-0 win against Panama at University of Phoenix Stadium on Jan. 28, 2019. Ebobisse was a member of the U.S. U-20 Men's National Team that won the 2017 Concacaf U-20 Championship, which in turn booked a qualifying spot for the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Korea Republic. Tallying two goals in three appearances (one start) for the United States in the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup, Ebobisse scored in a 2-1 loss to Venezuela in the quarterfinals on June 4, 2017. Ebobisse most recently featured for the U.S. U-23 Men's National Team in the United International Football Festival in November of 2019.
Transaction: Portland Timbers sign forward Jeremy Ebobisse to a multi-year contract extension on Feb. 26, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Community Initiatives in the Wake of Covid-19 Pandemic
- Timbers, Thorns FC to Debut 'PTFC: from the Archives ' Series Beginning March 21 on Fox 12
- Major League Soccer, National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement
- Timbers Defender Jorge Moreira Undergoes Successful Meniscectomy Procedure