Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United defeated FC Motagua 3-0 Tuesday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Leg Two of its Round of 16 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League matchup. Pity Martinez scored two goals while Josef Martinez tallied once and added two assists. Atlanta won 4-1 on aggregate and advanced to the quarterfinals where it will face either Club América or Comunicaciones.
Atlanta United dictated the tempo from the outset and consistently pressured Motagua's goal. Pity Martinez combined with Josef Martinez to create several chances before finally breaking through in the 40th minute. Franco Escobar won a ball in the midfield and passed to Pity who one-timed a pass to Josef in a give-and-go on the edge of the 18-yard box. Josef back-heeled the ball to Pity who took one touch into the box before unleashing a left-footed strike into the bottom right corner.
Josef Martinez doubled Atlanta's lead in the second half. Brooks Lennon won a header in the midfield and it fell to Josef Martinez, who laid it off to Pity Martinez before making a run towards goal. Pity sent a through ball into the right side of the box for Josef as goalkeeper Jonathan Rougier rushed out. Martinez took one touch by Rougier and passed the ball into an empty net.
Pity Martinez scored his second of the match in the 83rd minute. Barco played a bouncing ball to Josef Martinez on the edge of the penalty area where the Venezuelan was leveled by Rougier who attempted to clear the ball. Referee Keylor Herrera Villalobos signed for play to continue, which allowed Pity Martinez to gather the loose ball, dribble between a pair of defenders and finish with a right-footed shot into the middle of the goal.
Atlanta will travel to face winner of the Club América and Comunicaciones matchup between March 10-12. It will host the return leg between March 17-19 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. It opens MLS play this weekend at Nashville SC on Saturday, Feb. 29 (8:00 p.m. EST, FOX, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 | Leg Two
Atlanta United 3, FC Motagua 0 (4-1 on aggregate).
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 17-6 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 6-0 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 6-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 17-10 Motagua
Offside: 1-0 Motagua
Possession: 60-40 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 87-82 Atlanta
ATL - Pity Martinez (Josef Martinez) 40'
ATL - Josef Martinez (Pity Martinez) 60'
ATL - Pity Martinez (Josef Martinez) 83'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Franco Escobar, Brooks Lennon, Anton Walkes, Fernando Meza, Jake Mulraney (Luiz Fernando - 80'); Emerson Hyndman (Mo Adams - 88'), Eric Remedi; Gonzalo MartÃnez (Jeff Larentowicz - 87'), Ezequiel Barco, Josef MartÃnez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Adam Jahn, George Campbell.
FC MOTAGUA STARTING LINEUP
Jonathan Rougier; Juan Pablo Montes ©, Marcelo Santos, Omar Elvir, Marcelo Pereira; Héctor Castellanos, Kevin LÃ³pez, Reinieri MayorquÃn (Rubilio Castillo - 69'); MatÃas Galvaliz (Gonzalo Klusener - 58'), Roberto Aldana, Félix Crisanto (WÃ¡lter MartÃnez - 64').
Substitutes not used: Christopher Meléndez, Marlon Licona, Emilio Izaguirre, Sergio Peña.
Keylor Herrera Villalobos, Juan Carlos Mora, Keytzel Corrales, Walter Lopez
Pity Martinez scored his first two goals of the season and his first goals in Concacaf Champions League Play
Josef Martinez scored his second goal of the tournament and recorded his third multi-assist game of his Atlanta United career
Brad Guzan made his 100th club appearance. He also recorded his third clean sheet in CCL play with Atlanta United.
Jake Mulraney and Brooks Lennon each made their first start for the club
Luiz Fernando made his team debut
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC