David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player
When growing up, there are certain people who impact the lives of young individuals. For David Norman Jr., Canadian-born midfielder who joined Inter Miami in September 2019 via a trade with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, one of those idols growing up was Club co-owner David Beckham.
"He [David Beckham] meant so much when I was growing up. My family, we support Manchester United. So, growing up he was always one of my childhood idols," said Norman Jr.
On Monday, February 24, 2020, Norman Jr. had the opportunity to meet Beckham for the first time since joining Inter Miami at a team dinner. The occasion filled him with pride, as it took him back in time to their first encounter when he was only 12 years old.
"When I was able to meet him back in 2012 it was unreal. I was actually traveling supporting the Vancouver Whitecaps, the team from which I came from," Norman Jr. reminisced. "As a kid I was supporting them, watching a game in L.A against the Galaxy and I was able to get a pass to get onto the field. I was able to catch his eye after the game and ask for the photo. Me and my sister, it was a pretty great experience."
"So now to think that eight years later I'm playing for a club that he [Beckham] co-owns, it's pretty surreal," he added.
For Norman Jr., those eight years were life-changing. Since then, he's fulfilled his lifelong dream of playing soccer at the professional level and he's now part of a Club in which his idol's influence can be felt.
"Just a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Once I had that dream of becoming a pro I was really trying to tick every box and uncover every stone to make it happen. When I had the opportunity to come here and play for a club that he [Beckham] co-owns it was a pretty special chance."
"He's such an icon worldwide. You can see his presence when he's around training and the publicity he's bringing for the club. So, it's a fantastic chance to have him helping represent us," he stated.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire FC
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Academy Update: Competitive Play Kicks Off
- Inter Miami CF Falls 0-4 to New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Mas Brothers, Beckham Increase Ownership Stake in the Club
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives