Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match
The Rapids kick off the 2020 MLS Season with a match at 11 a.m. MT against D.C. United on Saturday, February 29. To get you ready for the team's season debut, the voice of the Rapids on Altitude Sports Radio 92.5, Connor Cape has three storylines to watch in the season opener.
1. A steadying force in the back
The Rapids need Lalas Abubakar to pick up where he left off in 2019. The center back was acquired in the offseason after spending the majority of 2019 on loan with Colorado from Columbus Crew SC. Abubakar made an immediate impact after his debut on May 11, leading the team on defense and starting a total of 22 matches. With Abubakar, Colorado only conceded an average of 1.5 goals per game, compared to 2.7 before he joined the team.
The Rapids will need the Ghanaian to start 2020 the way he played in 2019. He gives the squad an anchor on defense that every player can rally around, and he is someone that players can trust to come up big in even the diciest of defensive scenarios. When a forward like Ola Kamara is darting around the box, Abubakar becomes one of the most important players for this Rapids team in the lineup.
2. New-look D.C. United
The Rapids will need to take advantage of who's not playing on Saturday. Premier League star Wayne Rooney is no longer with D.C., as he returned to Europe and joined Derby County following the 2019 season. Dynamic and decisive attacking midfielder Luciano Acosta, who helped propel D.C. United to a magical finish in 2018, has departed for Liga MX side Atlas FC. In addition, winger Paul Arriola suffered a torn ACL in preseason and will therefore also be absent from the club's lineup. D.C. does welcome the new additions of Edison Flores and Julian Gressel, but it will be interesting to see how far their chemistry was able to come over the course of preseason alone.
The Rapids enter their first matchup with more returning key players, and while their opponent does have new talent, Colorado has the head start on familiarity. The club will need to try to take advantage of this early on.
3. Cool and calm
This season marks the first preseason for the Rapids and head coach Robin Fraser, which means he's had the opportunity to implement his style of play from day one. Some of the core principles from a tactical perspective include using numbers to manipulate the defense, open up space and possess the ball. Popular opinion out of D.C. sees their squad pressing higher and more aggressively than they did in 2019 and years prior.
It's the first game of the season, and it's on the road; Colorado need to execute Fraser's vision at a high level. The midfield is deep with the talent capable of doing just that, with players like Jack Price, Younes Namli, Kellyn Acosta. But it isn't just those three, as Cole Bassett and NicolÃ¡s Mezquida have proven adept at taking on pressure. This game will require 90 minutes of focus in the face of D.C.'s press, but there is no doubt that the Rapids have all the tools needed to frustrate the home side and keep them chasing.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Forward Diego Rubio Available for Selection After Chile Call-Up