Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership
February 26, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer announced today a multi-year partnership with Second Spectrum to become the League's first Official Advanced Tracking Data Provider. Beginning with the 2020 season, Second Spectrum will provide its proprietary, state-of-the art, optical tracking system for every MLS match.
Over the offseason, Second Spectrum installed its state-of-the-art optical tracking system in every MLS stadium. Leveraging their cameras and a cloud-based analytics engine, Second Spectrum captures data on the location of every player, the referees, and the ball twenty-five times per second. Second Spectrum uses machine learning and artificial intelligence to process the collected data, and can calculate a player's speed, acceleration, deceleration, and shot velocity, as well as advanced statistics like passing probability and expected goals, in near real time.
"We're incredibly excited to partner with MLS and its teams," said Rajiv Maheswaran, Second Spectrum CEO. "The combination of our new technologies and capabilities with a forward-thinking organization like MLS creates an exciting future of continued growth and innovation together."
The wide-ranging partnership includes all MLS matches, including Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, MLS Cup and the MLS All-Star Game presented by Target, as well as Leagues Cup and Campeones Cup matches - the annual competitions between MLS and Liga MX, the two best soccer leagues in North America.
"MLS' partnership with Second Spectrum sets a new standard for innovation in player-tracking in soccer," said Chris Schlosser, MLS SVP of Media. "Along with Second Spectrum, MLS will deliver an enhanced new fan experience, bringing innovation to MLS content while providing MLS clubs and technical staff with new tools to enhance player performance ."
Beginning opening weekend, fans will experience the new comprehensive tracking system with enhanced highlight videos on MLSsoccer.com and the MLS App featuring new metrics and data visualizations. Over time, fans will see the new tracking data integrated into MLS game broadcasts.
MLS clubs will use new software to scout and track player performance. The new system will provide data visualization technology, customized reports, enhanced video tools and more for coaches, data scientists and video analysts.
MLS and league partner MGM Resorts International will collaborate to create new fan engagement opportunities through an all new enhanced data feed for betting.
The MLS partnership comes at a pivotal time for Second Spectrum, as the brand's growth continues to accelerate and challenge how data and technology are impacting the future of sports and bringing fans closer to the game than ever before.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.