By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener
5 - Unbeaten home openers
Orlando City are famously unbeaten on Opening Day in their MLS history, winning in 2017 and drawing four times. The Lions have come from behind to earn each of those draws, equalizing in the 75th minute in 2019 and in stoppage time on a jaw-dropping three occasions. The most startling one might have been 2016 against Saturday's opponent Real Salt Lake, when Cyle Larin and Adrian Winter scored two goals in a one-minute span to level the game in its dying moments.
0.52 - Pereyra dishing dimes
Attacking midfielder Mauricio Pereyra arrived in Orlando from top Russian side Krasnodar last August. Having not played a competitive minute since May, Pereyra nevertheless jumped right into the team and made his first start on August 23 against Atlanta United. From that date until the end of the second, Pereyra was third in all of MLS in assists per 90 minutes, trailing only LA Galaxy's Cristian Pavon and Chicago's Nico Gaitan. Now fully fit, Pereyra will look to quarterback the attack even more efficiently in 2020.
9 - New faces
Orlando City features nine new players on its 2020 roster. Peruvian international goalkeeper Pedro Gallese and Brazilian midfield fulcrum JÃºnior Urso lead the senior signings, which also include fellow Brazilian defender Antonio Carlos, Argentine center back Rodrigo Schlegel, and Tampa-born Colombian midfielder Andres Perea. The Lions also have four rookies on the squad this year, with Homegrowns Jordan Bender and David Loera joining SuperDraft selections Daryl Dike and Joey DeZart.
514 - Rimando retires
Former Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando retired at the end of 2019 after an MLS-record 514 appearances in the league, including 369 for the Claret and Cobalt. Rimando also holds the all-time MLS records for career saves, wins, and clean sheets. Rimando started at least 27 games for Real Salt Lake every season from 2007 to 2019. Veteran Zac MacMath, who was a starter in Philadelphia from 2012 to 2014, is expected to start between the pipes for RSL.
41 - RSL defensive steel
Real Salt Lake scored fewer goals than any other Western Conference playoff team last season, but they didn't need them. Led by Rimando and center back tandem Justen Glad and Nedum Onuoha, RSL conceded just 41 goals last season, good for the third-lowest mark in the league.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- A Letter from Orlando City SC CEO Alex Leitao
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Orlando City SC Issues Statement in Response to MLS Suspension and COVID-19
- By the Numbers: Nani's Return
- Orlando City SC Partners with Season Share to Provide Flexibility to Season Ticket Members