Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced updates to its technical staff ahead of the 2020 season, including the return of John Hutchinson - who served as S2 Assistant Coach in 2017 and S2 Head Coach in 2018 - in a newly created role as First Team Development Coach. Additionally, former head of Academy recruitment, Henry Brauner, returns as Director of Player Development, while the team has hired Jorge GarcÃa Valera as Video Analyst and promoted Gary Lewis to Academy Director.
"We are very excited about the additions to our technical staff this offseason," said General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "In addition to the success of the First Team operation, I'm very proud of what we've built over the past few years from a development standpoint. I look forward to seeing how this current group brings us forward in the years to come."
Hutchinson previously worked with the Rave Green through the 2017 and 2018 seasons, serving as Assistant Coach and Head Coach, respectively, of Sounders FC 2, now Tacoma Defiance. In those roles, Hutchinson worked extensively with young up-and-coming players, positioning him well for his new role as First Team Development Coach. The position is a newly created addition to Brian Schmetzer's staff that will focus on serving as an extra bridge of support for young First Team players, preparing them to take full advantage of opportunities when they see the field in game action.
Brauner is also a familiar face on the Sounders FC technical side, and he returns in 2020 as Director of Player Development. Brauner served as head of Sounders FC Academy recruitment in 2017 and 2018 before spending 2019 in U.S. Soccer's Talent Identification Department. He takes over the critical role of leading the club's player development program, from Sounders Academy up through Tacoma Defiance.
In new hires, the team welcomes GarcÃa Valera as Video Analyst, a position in which he leads all video work with the First Team coaching staff. Garcia Valera hails from Valencia, Spain, and has previously held analyst positions with Leeds United, Atlético de Madrid C.F. and Levante U.D., among others. He is also a UEFA Pro licensed coach.
Lewis takes over as Academy Director, promoted from Sounders FC U-17 Coach. He began his career working with the youth academy at Liverpool FC, coaching the U-6 to U-9 groups before obtaining his UEFA A Coaching License and serving as Head Coach of the U-14 group on Merseyside. In 2005, Lewis was named Head Coach of Everton's U-13 group before moving back to Liverpool to work as head of the youth development program there, coaching ages 12 through 23 and working closely with many current professional players. In 2015, Lewis came to the United States as the National Director of Coaching for Football Club USA and after a short spell joined the Philadelphia Union's Academy program, serving four years as Head Coach of the U-14 and U-17 groups. He holds his USSF A License, UEFA A License and FA Academy Managers License.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2020
- Game Notes: New York City FC 1 - 0 AD San Carlos; NYCFC Advances to SCCL Quarterfinals - New York City FC
- David Norman Jr.: from Idolizing David Beckham to Joining Inter Miami as a Player - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC and the 3252 Independent Supporters Union Team up Once Again to Ensure Inclusive Environment for All Fans - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2020 Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Leon in Leg Two of Concacaf Champions League Round Two - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Opens CenturyLink Field this Week with Two Exciting Matches, Including Sunday's Championship Celebration - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: the 2020 Home Opener - Orlando City SC
- Training Report: Nashville SC Ready to Soak in Big Moment as MLS Debut Approaches - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Days to Debut: Inter Miami Goalkeeper and MLS Veteran Luis Robles Named Team Captain - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas 2020 Season Opener Information - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and Second Spectrum Announce Ground Breaking Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Broadcast Schedule and Partners, PHL 17 and 6abc - Philadelphia Union
- Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United: Keys to the Match - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Announces Technical Staff Updates Ahead of 2020 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- A New Tradition Is Born: Welcome Your Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Forward Jeremy Ebobisse to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Nashville SC - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveil 2020 Secondary Kit, Season-Long Ã¢ÂÂStand for Chicago' Patch Series - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Releases New Official Anthem by Legendary Composer Hans Zimmer - MLS
- 2020 Season Preview: The Midfielders - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Announces BODYARMOR as Official Sports Drink - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Advances Past LAFC with 3-1 Victory in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC
- Three Sounders FC Players Named to 2020 MLS Best XI