Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series
ESTERO, FL - James Henry recorded three points, Brian Ward notched his third goal in two nights and the Adirondack Thunder flew by the Florida Everblades 4-1 on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
Matt Salhany got the Thunder on the board with a power-play goal at 9:03 of the opening period. Ward collected the puck at the left faceoff circle and attempted a shot that Everblades goaltender Jeremy Helvig knocked aside. Salhany found himself sitting on the doorstep and popped home a rebound shot up and over Helvig for a 1-0 Adirondack advantage.
Ward doubled the Thunder lead in the last minute of the first frame as his floating wrister found the back of the net with 48 seconds remaining. The Thunder's all-time leading goal scorer skated with the puck from behind the Florida cage and all the way out to the center point. He turned and fluttered a shot looking for a tip in front, but instead Dylan Walchuk's screen on Helvig allowed the soft shot to find twine for a 2-0 lead.
Kyle Platzer grabbed the only goal of the second period to get Florida back in the game. On a 3-on-2 rush, Joe Cox found Platzer with a cross-ice feed and the 23-year-old ripped a hard wrist-shot by Alex Sakellaropoulos to make it a 2-1 game.
Adirondack regained the momentum in the final period when captain James Henry tallied a beautiful goal off a redirection in front. Ward grinded along the right-wing boards for possession and kicked a pass back to Dylan Walchuk at the right point. Walchuk took a monstrous whack at the puck and sent it in front where Henry got his stick on it to deflect past Helvig for a 3-1 Thunder lead.
Walchuk collected the game's final goal on an empty-net tally with just over two minutes remaining.
Alex Sakellaropoulos turned away 26 of 27 Florida shot attempts as he won for the tenth time in his past eleven starts.
The Thunder head back home before heading on the road again next week for a three games in three cities set. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Blake Thompson Re-Signs for Another Season with Adirondack
- Defenseman Steven Ruggiero Joins Adirondack
- Thunder Issue Statement on the Passing of Former Glens Falls Mayor Ed Bartholomew
- Forward Ara Nazarian Returns to Thunder on ECHL Deal
- Goalie Alex Sakellaropoulos Signs for Second Stint with Thunder