Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Tayler Thompson scored in overtime to help the Orlando Solar Bears (25-18-3-0) complete a 3-0-0-0 week and jump into third place in the ECHL's South Division with a 3-2 win over the Jacksonville Icemen (24-21-2-2) on Saturday night at Veterans Memorial Arena.
Cody Donaghey made his return to the lineup after serving a five-game suspension, and his presence paid dividends on the power play in the first period. The blueliner opened the scoring with his 10th goal of the season when he one-timed a feed at the left circle past Ken Appleby at 5:19 to give Orlando a 1-0 lead.
Michael Brodzinski then extended the lead to 2-0 with another power-play goal at 16:23. The defenseman one-timed a pass from Jonne Tammela and hammered a shot past Appleby for his seventh of the season.
The Icemen got on the board when Garet Hunt redirected a point shot from Blake Kessel past Martin Ouellette at 18:21.
Jacksonville then tied the score at 2-2 with a shorthanded goal in the second period when Cody Fowlie drove up the left side of the ice and cut across the crease before stuffing the puck past Ouellette at 3:35.
Neither team could break the deadlock in the third period, sending the contest to overtime.
Thompson sealed the contest for Orlando when the Icemen turned the puck over in the Solar Bears zone, leading to a three-on-one odd-man rush. Dylan Fitze carried the puck back into the Jacksonville zone and fed Zach Frye. Frye's one-timer from the high slot was tipped in front of the net by Thompson at 3:49 of the extra period to end the game and give Thompson his fourth goal of the season.
Ouellette earned the win with 30 saves on 32 shots against; Appleby took the overtime loss with 36 saves on 39 shots against.
1) Zach Frye - ORL
2) Martin Ouellette - ORL
3) Garet Hunt - JAX
Orlando improved to 7-2-0-0 on the season against the Icemen with the victory and has a one-point lead on Jacksonville for third place in the South Division.
The Solar Bears are now 9-0-3-0 in games played past regulation this season. Orlando is 7-0-3-0 in overtime. The Solar Bears' 21 points earned by playing past regulation is tied with Idaho for the league lead.
Thompson now has a two-game point streak (1g-1a). His last three goals have all been game-winners for Orlando, including two overtime goals.
Brodzinski and Donaghey each turned in 1g-1a performances.
Tammela's two assists gives him a three-game point streak (2g-2a).
Fitze's assist on Thompson's goal improves his point streak to three games (2g-1a).
Mike Monfredo's assist on Tammela's goal gives the defenseman a four-game point streak (1g-3a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears remain on the road but stay in the Sunshine State when they face the Florida Everblades on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m. at Hertz Arena. Orlando's next home game is Single & Mingle Night against the Icemen on Friday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase a Single & Mingle Night package that includes a ticket to the game, one drink ticket and access to an exclusive Single & Mingle pregame mixer before the game.
Fighting Four Packs presented by CenturyLink:
Gear up for the second half of the 2018-19 season with a Fighting Four Pack, presented by CenturyLink! Pick any four remaining home games and get $65 dollars in gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods, First Watch, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the Saturday, Feb. 23 game against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, part of Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, presented by XYMOPrint. Packs start as low as $69.99.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Head Athletic Trainer Josh Chapman Moves up to AHL
- Solar Bears Sales Executive Zach Cunningham Named ECHL Sales Professional of the Year
- Solar Bears Announce 2019 Season-Ending Roster
- Solar Bears Gain Ryan Obuchowski in Trade with Toledo
- Solar Bears Announce 2019-20 Schedule