Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades
ESTERO, Fla. - Brian Ward scored two power-play goals and Evan Cormier made 26 saves to help the Adirondack Thunder halt the Florida Everblades' seven-game home winning streak with a 3-1 victory at Hertz Arena on Friday night.
Adirondack (26-17-3-2, 57 pts.) scored twice on three power-play opportunities and went 5-for-5 on the penalty kill to pave the way for a rubber match in the three-game series.
The Thunder struck first with a four-on-three power-play goal from Ward at 18:27 of the first period. John Edwardh whipped a pass across the middle of the ice to Ward in the left circle, and Ward quickly corralled the puck and wired a shot past Florida goaltender Jamie Phillips 17 seconds into the power play.
After Phillips made a critical save on Edwardh in the first five minutes of the second period, the 'Blades came back down the ice and tied the game on Stathis Soumelidis' first ECHL goal. On a two-on-one rush, Kyle Platzer sent a pass from the edge of the right circle to Soumelidis in the low slot, and Soumelidis slammed the puck past Cormier at the 4:35 mark of the second period.
But Ward pushed the Thunder back ahead for good with his second of the night less than nine minutes later. After Josh Wesley blocked his initial chance from the left circle, Ward picked up the loose puck and fired it past Phillips from between the circles.
Edwardh struck for what ended up being the final tally of the night with 2:33 left in the second period. Off a breakout pass from Matt Salhany, Edwardh scored on the ensuing breakaway, his third point of the game (1g-2a).
Florida had a pair of power plays in the third period, including a five-on-three advantage in the last five minutes, but couldn't find the back of the net again.
Phillips finished with 24 saves on 27 shots in just his second home loss of the season.
Florida will go for the series victory on Saturday night, which is Pink in the Rink. Faceoff is slated for 7 p.m. at Hertz Arena.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Tanner Jeannot Recalled to AHL's Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Blades Weekly: Rivalry with Orlando Starts up this Weekend
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors