Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk
NORFOLK, VA - In their third game in as many days, the Atlanta Gladiators traveled to Virginia for a division showdown with the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday night. Despite going down 1-0 in the opening frame, the Gladiators battled back to take a 4-1 victory behind a three-point night from Justin MacDonald and two goals from Nolan LaPorte, increasing their franchise-record point-streak to 13 games.
The Gladiators dominated the play early in the first and recorded the first 10 shots of the contest. However, Atlanta did not take advantage of their strong offensive play, and instead, Norfolk tallied for the first lead of the game. TJ Melancon gathered a loose puck at the near side point and sent a pass across the blue line to Darik Angeli. The Denver native then misplayed the pass before he chipped the puck down to Matt McMorrow. There, the rookie forward dragged the puck across the front of the net and slid it into the far corner to give the Admirals a 1-0 lead with 5:50 left in the opening frame.
Atlanta maintained consistent offensive pressure through the second and finally broke through with just 1:38 remaining in the period. Matt Lane stole the puck off a Norfolk defender at the blue line and knocked a pass forward to LaPorte. The product of Western Michigan University glided to the center slot and used a screen from the defenseman to fire a shot past Jeremy Brodeur for his 11th goal of the year, knotting the score at 1-1.
The visitors continued on the strong end to the second period and came out of the gates flying in the third. After Norfolk found themselves a man short on a tripping call, the Gladiators took full advantage and struck a special teams goal to take a 2-1 lead just 2:19 into the final frame. MacDonald controlled the puck in the far side offensive circle and cycled it low to Derek Nesbitt. The assistant captain then fed a pass across to Nick Bligh, who nudged the puck into the net at the back door for his team-leading 15th of the season.
Just over six minutes of playing time later, Atlanta tallied once again to increase their lead to 3-1. MacDonald stole the puck at the near side boards in the offensive zone and skated towards the slot, where he did a toe-drag around the defender and fired a backhand shot off the crossbar and into the net. The unassisted tally was the Newmarket, ONT native's 14th of the year.
Atlanta was not done yet, however, as LaPorte found the twine for the second time in the game with 7:35 left in the third period. Brett McKenzie gathered the puck in the defensive zone and whistled a pass to LaPorte in the neutral zone. The third-year pro then completed a give-and-go play with MacDonald as they hurried down the ice and then rifled a shot into the top corner to increase Atlanta's lead to 4-1. Sean Bonar would not allow another goal, making 30 saves on the night, and sealed the Atlanta victory.
The road win pushed Atlanta to a record of 19-19-7-1 and leap-frogged them ahead of Norfolk in the ECHL South Division standings.
The Gladiators will return to action on Wednesday, February 13th as they welcome the Newfoundland Growlers to the Infinite Energy Arena for a 7:35 PM puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.