Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Kalamazoo Wings 4-3 in a thrilling overtime win Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Cliff Watson buried the overtime winner 24 seconds into the extra period. The Mavericks trailed 3-1 in the second period and scored three unanswered goals to take home their fifth win in their last six games.
Kalamazoo broke open the scoring on a goal from Brendan Bradley at the 7:51 mark of the first period. Kyle Thomas assisted on the goal. The Mavericks were quick to respond, as Greg Betzold scored on a rebound in the slot at the 11:18 mark of the opening frame. Joey Sides was given the lone assist on the goal.
The Wings pounced on the Mavs early in the second period while Darian Dziurzynski was serving a five-minute major for elbowing. Reid Gardiner scored both goals. Jagger Dirk and Tanner Sorenson assisted on the first goal. Sorenson and Zach Saar assisted on the second. Darian Dziurzynski got the Mavs a goal closer, scoring a goal from in front of the net. David Dziurzynski was credited with an assist on the goal, as was Cliff Watson.
Darian Dziurzynski continued his offensive redemption in the third period, tying the game with 8:29 left in regulation. Jared VanWormer and Rocco Carzo were given assists on the game-tying tally. The Mavericks and Wings remained tied through regulation and the game went into an overtime period.
Cliff Watson struck the winning blow for KC 24 seconds into overtime, cleaning up the rebound off a VanWormer shot. VanWormer was given his second assist of the game on the winner. The Mavericks now stand 5-2-1 on their nine-game home stand.
The Mavericks now wrap up their nine-game home stand against the Tulsa Oilers on Wednesday night, which is a makeup of the postponed February 5th game. All tickets purchased for the February 5th game are good for Wednesday's game. After Wednesday, the Mavericks will travel to Salt Lake City for three games against the Utah Grizzlies on Friday, Saturday and next Monday. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award
- Kansas City Mavericks Wrap up 10th Season with Return to the Playoffs
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa