MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals
NORFOLK, VA - Justin MacDonald scored a goal and added two assists as the Atlanta Gladiators topped the Norfolk Admirals 4-1 Saturday Night at Scope. Sean Bonar made 30 saves on 31 shots and gets the win for Atlanta. The Gladiators extend their unbeaten streak to 13 games (11-0-2).
The Admirals struck first with a power-play goal from Matt McMorrow. T.J. Melancon was able to keep the puck in the Atlanta zone on the power-play. Melancon played the puck over to the left circle for Darik Angeli. Angeli tried to play the puck into the slot, but it was picked off by an Atlanta defender. The Atlanta defender lost control of the puck and was gathered by McMorrow. McMorrow skated between the circles and fired a backhand shot past the glove-hand of Sean Bonar to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead at 14:10 of the first period.
Atlanta tied the game on a goal from Nolan LaPorte. Matt Lane sprung in LaPorte on a two-on-one into the Norfolk zone. Laporte skated into the Norfolk zone and fired a shot that went under the arm of Brodeur to make the score 1-1 at 18:22 of the second period.
Atlanta took the lead on a power-play goal from Nick Bligh. Justin MacDonald passed the puck to Derek Nesbitt in the right circle. Nesbitt fired a pass back door that was knocked in off the skate of an Admirals defenseman to give Atlanta a 2-1 lead at 2:19 of the third period.
The Gladiators extended its lead on a goal from Justin MacDonald. MacDonald received the puck after a turnover as the Admirals attempted to clear their own zone. MacDonald skated in one-one with Brodeur and beat him on the glove side to give Atlanta a 3-1 lead.
Atlanta added another late goal from Nolan LaPorte and won by a final score of 4-1.
Sean Bonar made 30 saves on 31 shots while getting his 13th win of the year, while Jeremy Brodeur made 36 saves on 40 shots and takes the loss for Norfolk.
Box Score / Gamesheet
The Admirals continue their homstand on Wednesday at Scope against South Carolina. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, February 13, vs. South Carolina, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, February 15, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Virginia is for Hockey Lovers Night!
Saturday, February 16, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Valentine's Day / Netflix & Chill Night
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.