Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night
ESTERO, Fla. - In the finale of a three-game set, the Florida Everblades (33-10-5-0, 71 pts.) vie for a series victory when they square off with the Adirondack Thunder (26-17-3-2, 57 pts.) on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
Game 49: Everblades vs. Adirondack
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Social: Twitter | #ADKvsFLA
Last Time Out
Adirondack scored twice on three power-play opportunities and went 5-for-5 on the penalty kill to halt the Everblades' seven-game home winning streak with a 3-1 win on Friday night at Hertz Arena. Brian Ward tabbed two goals, John Edwardh factored into all three Thunder goals to finish with a three-point night (1g-2a), and Evan Cormier earned his first win with 26 saves. Playing in his 18th career ECHL game, Stathis Soumelidis notched his first ECHL goal, Florida's only tally of the night.
BOX SCORE | RECAP
Players to Watch
Derek Sheppard (FLA) - The rookie defenseman returned to the Everblades lineup on Friday after he missed three games due to injury. Sheppard is tied for the lead in scoring among 'Blades defensemen with 23 points (10g-13a) and had registered a point in four straight games before going scoreless on Friday. The Ajax, Ontario, native has posted four multi-point games this season and has recorded three points on two occasions.
Brian Ward (ADK) - The third-year pro posted his second multi-goal game of the season and ninth of his career on Friday with a pair of tallies. He has played in 138 career games for the Thunder over the last three seasons and has 120 career points (67g-53a) in that time span. Ward played college hockey at St. Lawrence University and was college teammates with Tommy Thompson and Ben Masella from the Everblades.
Including this week's series, Florida and Adirondack have faced off in three consecutive seasons. Although the 'Blades went 1-1-0-1 in last year's three-game set in the regular season from Jan. 24-27, they went on to top the Thunder in five games in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Final. Florida split its two home games in that series, earning a 4-3 win in Game 1 before falling in overtime, 3-2, in Game 2. Florida is 3-3-1 all-time against the Thunder.
Answering to Adversity
Florida has proved itself as a team that bounces back in the face of adversity. On the heels of a regulation or overtime loss this season, the 'Blades have compiled a record of 12-1-1. The Everblades have lost consecutive games in regulation just once this year, a 2-1 setback to Jacksonville on Nov. 14 and a 1-0 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16.
Saturday Night's All Right
Though the 'Blades are only 8-7-2-0 in Friday games, they've all but dominated in Saturday tilts. Florida is 13-1-3 in Saturday contests, a point percentage of .853. A key factor in Florida's success on Saturday nights has been a consistent outpouring of offense in those games. The Everblades have averaged 5.00 goals per game in Saturday contests and have been limited to less than four goals just three times. Entering the series finale with Adirondack, Florida has won seven straight Saturday affairs.
Three has been the magic number for Florida this season. The 'Blades have yet to lose a game in regulation when they have found the back of the net three times, sporting a record of 33-0-4-0 in that scenario. However, Florida has not won a game in which it has scored less than three goals and is now 0-10-1-0 after Friday night's 3-1 loss.
Florida goaltender Jeremy Helvig, who is Saturday's probable starter, was the Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month for January. The Hurricanes prospect is currently riding a 13-game personal win streak, which is tied for the third-longest streak in ECHL history. Since going winless in his first four starts, Helvig is 16-1-1 in his last 19 starts. He posted a 6-0-0 record, three shutouts, a 1.22 goals-against-average, and a .954 save percentage in January.
The Everblades start their second straight week at home with a Wednesday night matchup against the Orlando Solar Bears. Faceoff is set for 7:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster
- WJBX News, Talk & More Returns as Broadcast Home of the 'Blades
- Everblades Add Dehner, Trade Lammon, Hudon to Allen