Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win
(RAPID CITY, SD) - Cedric Montminy struck twice in the second period, and Tyler Parks stood tall in net late, helping the Rapid City Rush to a crucial 2-1 regulation win over the Wichita Thunder on Friday night. The game marked the first of a pair of matchups this weekend, and marked back-to-back wins in net for Parks.
Both teams skated to a scoreless deadlock after 20 minutes, with Tyler Parks stopping all 8 shots he saw for the Rush, and Ty Rimmer stopping all 11 shots he saw for Wichita. The deadlock broke when Cedric Montminy pocketed his first of two in the frame, giving the Rush their only lead of the game. With 10:49 left in the second, Montminy slammed a one-timer from Tyler Poulsen and had his shot initially stopped, but batted his rebound by Rimmer to give the rush a 1-0 advantage (Poulsen and Pierre-Luc Mercier assisted). Montminy hit pay dirt again on an incredible coast-to-coast passing play by the Rush to double the team's lead heading into the final period. With 4:00 remaining in the frame, Josh Elmes fired a saucer pass from behind his net to Poulsen, who entered the neutral zone and evaded an oncoming assailant. He found Mercier, who entered in the zone two-on-one with Montminy, ending with Montminy finish into an open net to give the Rush a 2-0 lead (Mercier and Poulsen assisted).
The Rush staved off Wichita until a late power play was awarded to the team for a bench minor against the backup for the Rush, Adam Carlson. With 90 seconds left, with the power play and extra-attacker for a 6-on-4 advantage, Taylor Cammarata blasted a one-timer on a Jeremy Beaudry pass by Parks to halve the deficit to 2-1 (Beaudry and Stefan Fournier assisted). Things got tense with 1.8 seconds left, as Parks was somehow assessed a delay of game minor purposefully dislodging the net as the puck left the Rush zone. Cammarata took the shot on Parks and was denied, leading the Rush to a big 2-1 win.
Tyler Parks stopped all but one of 20 shots on net, earning a second straight win in as many starts (4-5-2-0). Parks also has points in four consecutive appearances, going 2-0-2-0 in that span.
The Rush conclude their pair of games against the Wichita Thunder tomorrow on Saturday, February 9th. Puck drop at Premier Home Mortgage Ice in Rushmore Plaza Civic Center is slated for 7:05 p.m. MST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.