Mariners Swamped by Rabbits
PORTLAND, ME - A six goal second period put Saturday night's game out of reach as the Mariners fell to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits by a final score of 8-2 on Saturday night at the Cross Insurance Arena.
The game's first goal was scored by Chris Izlmirlian, as he deflected Dylan Vander Esch's offering past Connor LaCouvee at 6:23 of the opening period. As the Mariners went to the power play about five minutes later, Will Merchant skated away on a breakaway and deked LaCouvee to double the Swamp Rabbits lead. It marked the third game in a row with a shorthanded goal allow by the Mariners.
Izmirlian scored a pair in the first 5:15 of the 2nd to complete the hat trick and make it 4-0. It appeared the Mariners would make a comeback bid when Jason Salvaggio and Dillan Fox (PPG) scored at 5:32 and 8:11, but a sloppy defensive sequence resulted in a Michael Pelech goal to stall Mariners momentum. Merchant got his 2nd goal with a power play tally at 12:45 and then Johno May and Izmirlian scored 58 seconds apart to blow the game wide open. The final two goals came against Hannu Toivonen, appearing in his first game since January 13th.
The Mariners buckled down defensively in the 3rd, and outshot Greenville 12-0 (31-28 for the game), but didn't get any closer than 8-2. Dillan Fox had a goal waived off in the third when he drove the net and was dragged down, the whistle apparently blowing before the puck went in the net.
The Mariners finish the weekend with a Sunday matinee against the Wheeling Nailers at 3:00 PM tomorrow. The game features a postgame skate with the team, sponsored by Redbank Village. Fans must bring their own skates and those under the age of 18 will need a helmet. Any fans who attend all three games this weekend and check in at the Promotions Port are eligible to win a Mariners prize pack. General admission tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.