Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night
Independence, MO. - Kalamazoo claimed a point but saw its five-game win streak ended on Saturday night, falling to the Mavericks 4-3 in overtime.
Michael Neal scored for the third straight game, giving him at least a point in three of four games since joining the K-Wings. Brendan Bradley scored for the fourth straight game, and has points in his last five games. Tanner Sorenson ran his point streak to six games, while Kyle Thomas pushed his point streak to 11 games.
Brendan Bradley opened the scoring for the K-Wings early in the opening period, giving Kalamzoo the early 1-0 lead. Quick puck movement found Bradley open on the back door, where he snapped a puck past a sprawling Mason McDonald. Four minutes later the Mavericks capitalized on their first shot of the night, using a netmouth scramble to push the puck past Keegan Asmundson, tying the game at 1-1.
At the start of the second period it was the K-Wing power play that jump started things. In front of the net Michael Neal tipped a Reid Gardiner slap shot putting the K-Wings up 2-1. Just over a minute later the power play would strike again, this time courtesy of Reid Gardiner. Perched at the top of the left circle Gardiner blasted a shot past McDonald, putting the K-Wings up 3-1. Kansas City took advantage of a net mouth scramble once again a few minutes later as Darian Dziurzynski tucked a puck past Asmundson, bringing the Mavericks within one at 2-1 after the second period.
The Mavericks got the only goal of the third period as Dziurzynski notched his second of the night, taking advantage of a netmouth scramble again, tucking the puck past Asmundson. Tied at 3-3 in overtime the Mavericks notched the game winner just 0:24 into the extra period as Cliff Watson tapped a back door pass past Asmundson to end it.
Asmundson finished the night with 18 saves on 22 shots in the loss, while McDonald stopped 24 of 27.
Kalamazoo returns home for Pink Ice Night on February 14 as they host the Fort Wayne Komets at 7:35 pm.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.