Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division
West Valley City, Utah - JT Henke scored 2 goals and Turner Ottenbreit had 1 goal and 1 assist in the Utah Grizzlies 4-3 win to take over first place in the Mountain Division over the Idaho Steelheads at Maverik Center.
Henke gave Utah a 1-0 lead on a rebound with 4:50 left in the first period. Idaho scored 2:17 into the second as Reid Petryk scored his 17th of the season. The Grizz retook the lead on Henke's 2nd of the game and 15th of the season. Utah extended the lead on Turner Ottenbreit's 4th goal of the season with 1:28 left in the second. Ottenbreit had 1 goal and 1 assist in the game for Utah.
Steelheads forward Steven McParland scored a power play goal with 8:17 left in regulation to cut the lead to 3-2. It stayed that score until Idaho pulled their goaltender for an extra skater. Caleb Herbert scored from ¾ length of the ice to give Utah an insurance goal and a 4-2 lead. That insurance goal was needed as AJ White scored with 30 seconds left in the third. Utah held on to a late Idaho rally to win the game and take each of the first 2 games of the 3 game series.
Kevin Carr stopped 20 of 23 shots in Utah in net and his record goes to 16-5-2 on the year. Steelheads goalie Tomas Sholl stopped 30 of 33.
Utah goes for the sweep on Saturday night at Maverik Center. 7 pm face-off. It's Grizzbee's birthday and he will be joined by NHL's mascots from the LA Kings, San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche. Get your tickets now at utahgrizzlies.com.
Grizzlies notes: Utah and Idaho were both 1 for 5 on the power play. Utah now has the season lead 6 games to 5 over Idaho. Caleb Herbert scored an empty net goal for Utah. His 24th goal of the season and 9th goal vs Idaho this season. JT Henke had 2 goals for Utah. He has as many 2 goal games (5) as he has 1 goal games (5).
3 stars of the game
1. JT Henke (Utah) - 2 goals.
2. Turner Ottenbreit (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
3. Gage Ausmus (Utah) - 1 assist.
Honorable mention goes to Idaho's Reid Petryk, who had 1 goal and 2 assists.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.