Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets
The Newfoundland Growlers needed extra time for the second game in as many nights, but found themselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard tonight suffering a 3-2 overtime loss to the Fort Wayne Komets.
The opening period was a scoreless battle-of-the-goaltenders as Michael Garteig and Lukas Hafner both turned aside 14 shots. Sam Jardine got the home crowd amped up after taking exception to a big hit by Ryan Siiro on Brady Ferguson and dropping the gloves at 13:57 of the opening frame.
Zach O'Brien opened the scoring at 6:49 of the second period off an angle that handcuffed Hafner continuing his got streak as of late giving the Growlers a 1-0 lead.
Jamie Schaafsma tied the game exactly two minutes later capitalizing on a shorthanded breakaway after some miscommunication by the Growlers for a 1-1 game.
Zach O'Brien netted his second of the period with 6:01 remaining in the period re-directing a James Melindy point blast five-hole, and Jamie Schaafsma replied by scored his second of the period with 1:40 remaining making it a 2-2 game after 40 minutes of play.
A scoreless third period meant extra time for the second night in a row, and Marc-Olivier Roy ended it just 46 seconds into overtime for a 3-2 Komets win.
Zach O'Brien has points in four straight games
Marcus Power left the game with an injury in the second period and did not return
The three stars were 3 - M. Roy (FW), 2 - J. Schaafsma (FW) and 1 - Z. O'Brien (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers wrap up their seven-game homestand Sunday afternoon with a special Marvel Superheroes Matinee Game. The Newfoundland Growlers will be wearing Iron Man jerseys and the Fort Wayne Komets will be wearing Captain America jerseys. Puck drop is 4 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.