Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (29-17-3) controlled the flow of the game but couldn't find the tying goal in a 4-2 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (30-13-5) on Saturday night from Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies scored the opening two goals of the game in a three-minute span in the first period. At 6:17, Grizzlies forward Ryan Walters followed up his own shot to slip ahead, 1-0. Grizzlies forward Mitch Maxwell scored the second goal at 8:48 in transition to double the lead at 2-0.
The Steelheads started the comeback bid with the first of two special teams tallies in the second period. At 8:11, Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig deflected a shot from the blue line from the slot to cut the lead in half at 2-1. Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert answered at 10:56 to double the lead again, 3-1, however Steelheads forward Steve McParland found an open puck in the offensive end during a line change and scored a shorthanded breakaway at 17:35 to draw back within one, 3-2.
The Steelheads continued their press in the third period despite a low-shooting frame between both sides. With the netminder pulled, Maxwell notched his second goal of the night in an empty net, sealing the 4-2 Grizzlies win.
Grizzlies goaltender Kevin Carr (17-5-2) halted 23 of 25 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Ryan Faragher (7-4-1) stopped 18 of 21 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Tickets are available by calling the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.