Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid
WORCESTER, MA - The Wheeling Nailers had a dominant third period to put an end to their seven-game winless streak, as they scored four unanswered goals to knock off the Worcester Railers, 5-1 at DCU Center. Michael Phillips led the way with two goals and an assist, while Jordan Ruby stood tall, making 33 saves, including 15 in the second period, when the score was 1-0.
The Nailers controlled the majority of the play in the first period, and they were rewarded for their efforts with a late shorthanded tally. Ryan MacKinnon fumbled the puck away to Michael Phillips, who pounced on the opportunity, ripping a wrist shot into the left side of the net. The shorthanded goal was Wheeling's 14th of the year - the fifth highest total in team history.
Worcester outshot the Nailers, 15-1 in the middle save, but Jordan Ruby stood tall, preserving the one-goal lead.
In the early stages of the third period, the Railers got a little fortune to go their way as Barry Almeida's pass banked off Tyler Barnes' skate to temporarily tie the score. Wheeling bounced back immediately, regaining the lead 51 seconds later. Winston Day Chief centered a pass into the low slot, where it was powered through by Cedric Lacroix. That got the Nailers going in a big way, as they rattled off three more markers to open things up. Yushiroh Hirano shelved a backhander off a face-off win by Zac Lynch, Phillips completed a 3-on-1 rush by burying a pass from Troy Josephs, and Alec Butcher tipped in a Phillips shot from the high slot, lifting Wheeling to the 5-1 road triumph.
Jordan Ruby was spectacular in the win for the Nailers, as he denied 33 of the 34 shots he faced. Mitch Gillam took the loss ofr Worcester, getting bested on five on 22 attempts.
The Nailers will conclude their three-game road trip on Sunday with their first ever visit to Portland, Maine for a 3:05 tilt against the Maine Mariners. Wheeling will then play three straight games at home next week, starting with a 7:05 match against Reading on Wednesday, February 13th. The next big promotional night is Country Roads, featuring a Mason Jar Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans on February 16th. All tickets for that game are just $12. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers goaltender Jordan Ruby stops the Worcester Railers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.