Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019
Who: Norfolk Admirals (19-23-3-3, 44 pts) vs. Atlanta Gladiators (18-19-7-1, 44 pts)
Where: Norfolk Scope Arena
When: 7:00 p.m.
Tickets: Purchase online or at the Scope Box Office
Regular Season Series: Norfolk Leads 4-3-0
All-Time Series: Norfolk leads 9-7-5
Game Broadcast: Free audio stream on Mixlr
Internet TV Broadcast: Available on ECHL.TV
Tonight's Promotions: Tonight is Star Wars night! Star Wars Cos-play characters from the 501st Legion will be on hand. Fans are welcome to dress up as their favorite Star Wars characters as well (Please Note masks, fake weapons are not allowed, but light sabers will be permitted). There will be a postgame skate with the Admirals players! Skates will be made available for fans on a first-come-first-serve basis. Fans are encouraged to bring their own skates as well,
About Tonight's Game: A key two points are on the line tonight as both teams are tied for fifth place in the division and trail the fourth and final playoff spot in the division by seven points. Norfolk is coming off an impressive 5-2 victory last night at Scope. Meanwhile the Gladiators are one of the hottest teams in the league and are unbeaten in their last 12 games (10-0-2). Atlanta will finish up a three-games in three-day stretch after playing last night at home and making the trek to Norfolk for this evening's game.
About the Admirals: Rookie forward Kelly Klima recorded a goal and an assist last night and has now posted a point in 13 of the 19 games he has played this season...Luke Nogard is tied for the team lead in goals with 13 and leads the Admirals against the Gladiators with four goals.... Forward Darik Angeli has posted points in five of his last seven games, while Jake Wood has points in seven of his last ten contests.
Admirals Team Leaders
Points: Ben Duffy (40)
Goals: Luke Nogard, Chris Crane, Ben Duffy (13)
Assists: Jalen Smereck** (28)
Plus/Minus: Matt McMorrow, Luke Nogard (+8)
Penalty Minutes: Jake Wood(73)
Power Play Goals: TJ Melancon (5)
Shorthanded Goals: Domenic Alberga** (3)
Shots: TJ Melancon (129)
Wins: Ty Reichenbach (14)
Save %: Merrick Madsen (0.905)
GAA: Merrick Madsen (3.40)
**Denotes player currently in AHL
About the Gladiators: Forward Justin MacDonald is currently riding a six-game point streak for Atlanta and has posted nine points (2g, 7a) during this recent streak....Goaltender Sean Bonar is unbeaten in his last 11 starts, going 9-0-2 during this stretch. Bonar''s consistent play helped earn him ECHL Goaltender of the Month Honors for January....Brett McKenzie leads the Gladiators in scoring against the Admirals this season with seven points (1g, 6a).
Gladiators Team Leaders
Points: Derek Nesbitt (35)
Goals: Derek Nesbitt, Nick Bligh (14)
Assists: Derek Nesbitt, Brett McKenzie (21)
Plus/Minus: Jake Flegel (+9)
Penalty Minutes: Nolan LaProte (59)
Power Play Goals: Several tied (5)
Shorthanded Goals: Several tied (1)
Shots: Derek Nesbitt (144)
Wins: Sean Bonar (12)
Save %: Sean Bonar (.922)
GAA: Sean Bonar (2.32)
**Denotes player currently in AHL
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, February 13, vs. South Carolina, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, February 15, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Virginia is for Hockey Lovers Night!
Saturday, February 16, vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m. Valentine's Day / Netflix & Chill Night
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Norfolk Admirals goaltender Jeremy Brodeur against the Atlanta Gladiators
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.