Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale
ESTERO, Fla. - James Henry tabbed three points and Alex Sakellaropoulos turned in a 26-save performance to lead the Adirondack Thunder to a 4-1 win over the Florida Everblades on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
Kyle Platzer tabbed his 20th goal of the season, but Florida (33-11-5-0, 71 pts.) couldn't climb out of a 2-0 deficit after the first period as Adirondack (27-17-3-2, 59 pts.) managed to earn four of a possible six points in the series.
The Thunder struck twice in the first period to open up a multi-goal lead on the 'Blades for the second straight night. Henry jammed home a rebound during Adirondack's first power play of the game at the 9:03 mark of the first period to start the scoring. Then, with just 48 seconds left in the first, Brian Ward snuck a shot past Florida goaltender Jeremy Helvig from the high slot to push the Thunder's lead to two.
Florida managed to whittle the deficit to one on Platzer's tally with six minutes, six seconds remaining in the second period. On a zone rush, Platzer ripped a shot past Sakellaropoulos from the left circle. Joe Cox and Matt Finn picked up assists on the play.
Sakellaropoulos locked down the 'Blades from there, and Adirondack scored twice in the third period to send Florida to a second consecutive loss for just the second time this season. Henry deflected Dylan Walchuk's point shot to increase the Thunder's lead to 3-1 at the 9:15 mark of the third. Walchuk then added an empty-net score with 2:06 remaining in regulation for the final tally of the night.
Helvig stopped 26 of the 29 shots he faced as his 13-game personal win streak came to an end. That win streak matched the third-longest in ECHL history.
Florida will aim to get back on the winning track when it hosts the Orlando Solar Bears on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 9, 2019
- Mavs Win in Thrilling OT Comeback over Kalamazoo, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Fall Just Short in 4-2 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Thompson Scores to Give Solar Bears 3-2 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Collect Point But See Win-Streak Snapped Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Skate Past 'Blades in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Drop Back-And-Forth Affair in Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Royals Draw 4,905 on Pink in the Rink Night vs. Brampton - Reading Royals
- MacDonald's Three Points Push Gladiators Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tyler Barnes Extends Goal Scoring Streak to Six Games in 5-1 Home Loss to Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Top Everblades 4-1 to Take Week-Long Series - Adirondack Thunder
- Record Point Streak Moves to 13 in 4-1 Road Victory in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Overcome Two Deficits But Fall in Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ruby Delivers a Gem to End Wheeling's Skid - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Run Rampant in Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Power Past Cyclones on Pink in the Rink, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Swamped by Rabbits - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Fall in Overtime to the Komets - Newfoundland Growlers
- Branden Komm Returned on Loan from Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Two Called up to AHL; Pu Assigned from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - February 9 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, February 9, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Square off with Adirondack on Pink in the Rink Night - Florida Everblades
- Round Two Tonight in the Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Manchester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, February 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: K-Wings Head to Kc Looking to Extend Win-Streak - Kalamazoo Wings
- Redmond Recalled to San Diego Gulls - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Pink in the Rink, Royals Jockey with Beast - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3, Take First Place in Division - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Edge Wichita Late for Win - Rapid City Rush
- Special Teams Lift Thunder to 3-1 Win over 'Blades - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Tanner Jeannot Recalled to AHL's Milwaukee Admirals
- 'Blades Weekly: Rivalry with Orlando Starts up this Weekend
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors