Thunder Honoring McConnell Air Force Base on December 7
WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, AHL's Bakersfield Condors and powered by Toyota, announced today a partnership with McConnell Air Force Base and Kansas Strong for Military Appreciation Night on Saturday, December 7th.
"Wichita is such a welcoming and supportive community to the men and women of Team McConnell," stated Col. Tanner. "We're honored that the Thunder are wearing special military-themed uniforms for this event and thrilled that they are taking on the name of our new tanker, the Pegasus, for this special occasion. Each week, we challenge our newcomers to connect with the community and events like this show just how easy the people of Wichita make it for us to do just that. We can't thank the Thunder enough for this show of support!"
For the first time ever, the Thunder will be changing their logo and name to the Wichita Pegasus to pay tribute to McConnell AFB. The squadrons who fly the Pegasus will be in attendance as well. During the night, there will be different activities honoring all branches of the Military and a special on-ice pregame ceremony. The team will be wearing these Pegasus-themed uniforms that will be auctioned off after the game.
"In the first days of mechanized warfare during World War I, Kansas Oil and Natural Gas Producers supported the war effort by providing 9% of the World's oil," stated Warren Martin, Executive Director of Kansas Strong. "That was the vital link necessary for our soldiers to be victorious. Our industry has always supported our tremendous service men and women. We are proud to be a part of honoring them today. They stand ready to defend our freedoms at all costs, and we stand ready to provide the resources they need to do so. Freedom is not free! To those who serve or have served, Kansas Oil and Natural Gas Producers salute those American heroes!"
The KC-46 Pegasus is a military aerial refueling and strategic military transport aircraft developed by Boeing. McConnell AFB is home to 11 of these new aircraft since August 30th.
"We're honored to be working with the men and women of McConnell Air Force Base for this historic game," commented Anthony Benge, VP Of Ticket Sales for the Wichita Thunder. "We began working up ideas back in the spring and really wanted to find the right way to show our respects and gratitude for their constant sacrifices. December 7 is going to be a memorable night of entertainment, being able to welcome so many families and friends from McConnell into the Thunder family."
The USMC & Air Force will play in the 3rd Annual Commander's Cup at 5 p.m. with the doors opening at 4:45 p.m.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2019
- Tayler Thompson Returns to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Honoring McConnell Air Force Base on December 7 - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - November 18 - ECHL
- Mavericks Kids Day Game at 10:35 a.m. Tomorrow - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: Heading South - Maine Mariners
- Parkkonen Returns from AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Monday: Top Team Blown out in KC, First Road Trip this Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thursday's Game to be Played at 7:05 p.m. - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Weekly: Battle for First Place Set for this Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, November 18 - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Return Home vs Orlando this Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Home vs Orlando on Friday and Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Gain Three Points in Week 6; Walleye Visit Friday, Nailers Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 6 (November 11 - November 17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Derek Clancey Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - Reading Royals
- Jared Bednar Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Royals Tied for League Lead in Points Entering Week - Reading Royals
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 18 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Close the Weekend with 3-1 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.