Mavs Monday: Top Team Blown out in KC, First Road Trip this Weekend
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks have seemed to steady the course after a rocky start to the season, which saw the Mavericks begin the season with a 2-4-0-0 October record. Since then, the Mavericks have gone 4-3-1-0 since, including an exclamation point 10-1 victory over the then-first place Rapid City Rush Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavs host Allen for the annual Kids Day game this Tuesday then hit the road for the next four games to face divisional rivals the Idaho Steelheads this weekend before traveling to Wichita to face the Wichita Thunder on Thanksgiving weekend.
Last Week's Action
Mon. 11/11: 4-2 L vs. Wichita
Wed. 11/13: 4-3 OTL at Indy
Sat. 11/16: 10-1 W vs. Rapid City
This Week's Schedule
Tue. 11/19: vs. Allen Americans (10:35 a.m.)
Fri. 11/22: at Idaho Steelheads (8:05 p.m.)
Sat. 11/23: at Idaho Steelheads (8:05 p.m. Game airs on KCWE)
Mountain Division Standings
1. Allen (10-3-1-0, 21 points)
2. Idaho (8-4-2-2, 20 points)
3. Rapid City (9-5-2-0, 20 points)
4. Wichita (8-4-3-0, 19 points)
5. Tulsa (7-9-1-0, 15 points)
6. Kansas City (6-7-1-0, 13 points)
7. Utah (4-7-2-1, 11 points)
The Mavericks defeated the then-first place Rapid City Rush 10-1 on Saturday night. The Mavs outshot the Rush 45-26 and eight different Mavs had multipoint performances, led by defenseman Kevin McKernan and forward Tad Kozun who both had a goal and three assists.
The Plus Makers
Four Mavericks had a plus-minus rating greater than +5 on Saturday night. Cliff Watson and Mitch Hults both finished the night with a +5 rating, while Kozun and McKernan left the rink with +6 ratings.
Hitting the Road
The Mavericks will hit the road for two weeks after Tuesday's game vs. Allen, heading west to Boise, ID to face the Idaho Steelheads for two games next Friday and Saturday and then head to Southeastern Kansas to face the Wichita Thunder on Thanksgiving weekend before returning home to face the Thunder on December 6.
The Mavericks have killed 36 of their last 37 penalties and have only allowed two power play goals in eight games this month.
In the Books
Mavericks defenseman Neal Goff scored the first goal of his professional career Saturday against Rapid City. In three seasons and 72 games in both the ECHL and AHL, Goff had never scored a goal until Saturday. It was his 65th game with the Mavericks.
No Hults Barred
Mavericks forward Mitch Hults has nine points on three goals and six assists in his last five games since returning on assignment from Stockton.
The second period has been a critical period for the Mavericks in determining outcomes this season. KC is 4-0-0-0 when leading after two periods and 0-4-1-0 when trailing after two periods this season.
Hitting the Numbers
The Mavericks average margin of victory in wins this season is 3.67 goals and they average 5.5 goals scored when they are the winning team.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2019
- Tayler Thompson Returns to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Honoring McConnell Air Force Base on December 7 - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - November 18 - ECHL
- Mavericks Kids Day Game at 10:35 a.m. Tomorrow - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: Heading South - Maine Mariners
- Parkkonen Returns from AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Monday: Top Team Blown out in KC, First Road Trip this Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thursday's Game to be Played at 7:05 p.m. - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Weekly: Battle for First Place Set for this Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, November 18 - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Return Home vs Orlando this Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Home vs Orlando on Friday and Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Gain Three Points in Week 6; Walleye Visit Friday, Nailers Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 6 (November 11 - November 17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Derek Clancey Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - Reading Royals
- Jared Bednar Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Royals Tied for League Lead in Points Entering Week - Reading Royals
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 18 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Close the Weekend with 3-1 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Zach Osburn Re-Ups for Second Season with the Mavericks
- Mavericks Sign Former Sabres Draft Pick Giorgio Estephan
- Mavericks Ink Defenseman Willie Corrin
- Rookie Defenseman Noah Delmas Joins Mavericks
- Back-To-Back Usport Goalie of the Year Taran Kozun Joins KC