Royals Tied for League Lead in Points Entering Week
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals have won eight of ten games (8-1-1-0) to catapult to a tie for the ECHL lead in points (22 pts., 10-4-2-0) entering a three-game home week vs. the Newfoundland Growlers Friday-Sunday at Santander Arena. Reading owns a four-point lead for first place in the North Division and is tied with South Carolina and Florida for the league and conference edge in points.
Scoreless entering overtime Saturday vs. Wheeling in front of a season-high 4,866 fans, Philadelphia native Corey Mackin scored the Royals' first extra-session goal in 22 months to squash a streak of 184 minutes without an overtime goal. It was the second shutout win of the season for the Royals and the first time in team history the team won a 1-0 game decided in overtime. Reading has won eight games by a 1-0 score all-time. Kirill Ustimenko earned his first career shutout with 32 saves. He started four games in a six-day span last week and went 3-1-1-0 (9 GA).
Reading has won seven games by one goal this season, exceeding the total number of one-goal wins the squad had in all of 2018-19 (6). The Royals are 7-0-2-0 in games decided by one, tied for the most victories in the league. Reading has scored first a league-high 11 times of the squad's 16 games.
The Royals' season-long six-game homestand continues Friday and runs through Nov. 30. Here's what's coming up at Santander Arena and the full promotional schedule is at royalshockey.com/promotions.
Fri., Nov. 22 vs. Newfoundland at 7:00 p.m. Throwback Night
Sat., Nov. 23 vs. Newfoundland at 7:00 p.m. - Hockey Fights Cancer
Sun., Nov. 24 vs. Newfoundland at 4:00 p.m. - Princess Day
Fri., Nov. 29 vs. Toledo at 7:00 p.m. - Game Show Night
Sat., Nov. 30 vs. Toledo at 7:00 p.m. - PAW Patrol Night
The Royals' five-game point streak is the longest of the season. Reading has won three straight games, one off a season high.
Kirill Ustimenko has stopped 50 straight shots over five consecutive periods (100:21 scoreless streak) since allowing a goal in the first period Friday at Adirondack. Arguably his top-three professional performances have come over the last three games; a career-high 36-save effort Wednesday at Worcester, a 24-save game Friday (1 GA) and Saturday's first-ever shutout.
Corey Mackin has points in five straight games (4g, 1a) for the first time in his career. He has registered his first two game-winning goals this season.
Ralph Cuddemi has a team-best ten goals and 21 points and assisted Corey Mackin's OT goal Saturday.
Dating back to Mar. 22 of last season, the Royals are 17-4-3 in their last 24 games. The Royals rattled off an eight-game point streak to end last regular season and have a four-game and a five-game run this campaign.
Weekly Schedule - Promotions at Royalshockey.com/promotions
Nov. 22 vs. Newfoundland, 7:00 p.m.
Nov. 23 vs. Newfoundland, 7:00 p.m.
Nov. 24 vs. Newfoundland, 7:00 p.m.
10-4-2-0, 22 pts., 1st North
Reading - 22 points
Newfoundland - 18 points
Brampton - 18 points
Adirondack - 16 points
Maine - 13 points
Worcester - 8 points
Nov. 11 at MNE: OTL, 4-3
Nov. 13 at WOR: W, 6-4
Nov. 15 at ADK: W, 4-1
Nov. 16 vs. WHL: W, 1-0 (OT)
Regular season team leaders
Goals: Ralph Cuddemi (10)
Assists: Ralph Cuddemi (11)
Points: Ralph Cuddemi (21)
PIM: Garrett Mitchell (24)
+/-: Matthew Gaudreau (+12) **recalled to AHL Stockton
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday - Practice at Body Zone, 10-11:30
Wednesday - Practice at Body Zone, 10-11:30
Thursday - Practice at Body Zone, 10-11:30
Friday - Game vs. Newfoundland, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday - Game vs. Newfoundland, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - Game vs. Newfoundland, 4:00 p.m.
Monday - OFF DAY
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2019
- Tayler Thompson Returns to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Honoring McConnell Air Force Base on December 7 - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - November 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - November 18 - ECHL
- Mavericks Kids Day Game at 10:35 a.m. Tomorrow - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Weekly: Heading South - Maine Mariners
- Parkkonen Returns from AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Monday: Top Team Blown out in KC, First Road Trip this Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thursday's Game to be Played at 7:05 p.m. - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Weekly: Battle for First Place Set for this Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, November 18 - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Return Home vs Orlando this Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Home vs Orlando on Friday and Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Gain Three Points in Week 6; Walleye Visit Friday, Nailers Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 6 (November 11 - November 17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Derek Clancey Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - Reading Royals
- Jared Bednar Selected for ECHL Hall of Fame - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces 2020 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Royals Tied for League Lead in Points Entering Week - Reading Royals
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of November 18 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Close the Weekend with 3-1 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck