Thunder Fall Short in OT Thriller, 3-2
PORTLAND, ME - The Adirondack Thunder gained a point but fell in overtime to the Maine Mariners on Tuesday night in Portland by a final score of 3-2.
Both teams took a while to feel each other out to start off the game. The first goal of the game came with 2:31 left in the first period. Ted Hart picked up his fifth of the season after he banked it off the pad of Thunder goaltender Evan Cormier and gathered his own rebound.
The Mariners got the second goal of the middle frame after a turnover at the Thunder blueline. Alex Kile finished off a tic-tac-toe passing play to put the Mariners up 2-0. Adirondack responded as they went to the powerplay. Jake Linhart's shot was redirected by Casey Pierro-Zabotel for his team-leading 10th goal of the season to cut the Maine lead to 2-1.
The Thunder had to kill three Maine powerplays in the third and found themselves on a 5-on-3 man-advantage with under five minutes to go. Mike Szmatula put the puck on net, hitting the crossbar and falling right onto the stick of Robbie Payne for the tying tally.
The teams would head to overtime for the second time in the last three games. The Mariners found the game-winner as Brenden Crawley found Dillan Fox on a back door re-direction to seal the extra point for the Mariners.
Evan Cormier made 34 saves on 37 shots as the Thunder went 2-for-3 on the man-advantage and killed all three Mariner powerplay chances.
The Thunder take on the Allen Americans on Friday night, December 13th at Cool Insuring Arena. Puck drop is at 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 10, 2019
- D'Aoust Returns from AHL Manitoba; Shaw & Beaudoin Recalled - Jacksonville IceMen
- Thunder Opens Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- DeSalvo Strikes Twice in Stingrays' 17th Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears See Point Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Complete Three Game Sweep of Thunder in OT Thriller - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Fall Short in OT Thriller, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Austin Poganski Makes NHL Debut - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Add Forward Alex Rauter from Rapid City - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - December 10 - ECHL
- Everblades Sign Defenseman Nick Schaus - Florida Everblades
- Forward Shawn McBride Loaned Back to Norfolk from Hartford - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Penn State Grad D Derian Hamilton Signs with Reading - Reading Royals
- Former Thunder Coach Promoted to NHL - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday - Idaho Steelheads
- Hunter Fejes Returns to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Maine's Elmer Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Jake Elmer Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Maine Mariners
- Rays Sign Defenseman Dylan Zink - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gillam Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Gillam Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Planet Smoothie Introduces Solar Beary Blast Smoothie - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 14th - Norfolk Admirals
- Ward Traded to Tulsa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Get AHL Goalie - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Opt out of 2020-21 Season
- Adirondack Lands Veteran Forward Pete Macarthur in Trade with Orlando
- Rookie Defenseman Grant Frederic Turns Pro with Thunder
- Former QMJHL Champion Samuel Laberge Joins Adirondack
- Thunder Acquire Rights to Forward Chase Lang from IceMen