Steelheads Weekly - October 14, 2019
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (2-0-0) return to CenturyLink Arena this weekend, opening their home schedule with a two-game weekend against the Wichita Thunder.
Friday, October 11 @ Utah Grizzlies: 3-2 W
Shots: Steelheads 39, Grizzlies 32
PP: Steelheads 1-for-6, Grizzlies 1-for-5
The Steelheads opened the season with a 3-2 road win from Maverik Center. Forward Zack Andrusiak (PP, 15:45 1st) scored the first Steelheads goal of the season followed closely by forward Brett Supinski (16:54 1st) to jump out to a 2-0 lead. While the Grizzlies answered the next frame, forward Anthony Nellis (14:44 2nd) placed the eventual game-winning goal to double the lead, 3-1. Despite a Grizzlies goal in the third period, the Steelheads held on for the 3-2 win. Goaltender Tomas Sholl (1-0-0) halted 30 of 32 shots in the win.
Saturday, October 12 @ Utah Grizzlies: 3-1 W
Shots: Steelheads 32, Grizzlies 40
PP: Steelheads 0-for-4, Grizzlies 1-for-4
The Steelheads had another early scoring push, helping to take a 3-1 on from Maverik Center. Forward Joe Basaraba (1:44 1st) netted an early tally followed for the second-straight game by forward Brett Supinski (9:11 1st) to swiftly double the lead, 2-0. The Steelheads added one more goal from forward Spencer Naas (11:31 2nd) on a turnover to earn their largest weekend lead, 3-0. The Grizzlies found one goal in the third period, but the Steelheads took the 3-1 win. Netminder Tomas Sholl (2-0-0) saved 39 of 40 shots in the win.
Friday, October 18 vs. Wichita Thunder - 7:10 p.m. MT
Saturday, October 19 vs. Wichita Thunder - 7:10 p.m. MT
The Steelheads head to CenturyLink Arena for the first time this season for Home Opening Weekend and two games against the Wichita Thunder. The Steelheads and Thunder met six times during the 2018-19 season with the Thunder taking four of the six contests, forcing the Steelheads to a 2-2-1-1 record. The Steelheads went 1-1-1 both at CenturyLink Arena and INTRUST Bank Arena, which included their lone home series from March 6-9. Since the Thunder joined the ECHL in 2014-15, the Steelheads own a 5-4-3 record in the franchise series while going 2-2-1 at CenturyLink Arena.
Opening Night Magnet Schedule Giveaway: Be one of an exclusive group of Steelheads fans by being one of the first 1,000 fans to receive a 2019-20 Steelheads Magnet Schedule on Friday, Oct. 18.
Youth Hockey Night: Celebrate local youth hockey around the Treasure Valley area with Youth Hockey Night on Saturday, Oct. 19 as part of Home Opener Weekend. Help support the growth of youth hockey in Boise! Call the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for details.
Four For $50 Family Friday: Bring the family to enjoy a Steelheads home game every Friday night this season. For just $50, you'll receive four tickets, four fountain drinks, and four Double R Ranch hot dogs. Call the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information.
- The Steelheads are off to a 2-0-0 start for the first time since 2009-10, when the team began with six-straight wins to start the year.
- Last weekend was the first time since 2006-07 that the team won all their opening weekend games on the road. In 2006-07, the Steelheads started the year 4-1-0 in their first five games (all on the road).
- With Saturday's win, the Steelheads now have 100 wins against the Utah Grizzlies, marking the first time the Steelheads have reached the 100-win plateau against an ECHL opponent.
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl now sits sixth in team ECHL history for most career minutes (3,122), surpassing Tyler Beskorowany (3,050) in Friday's win.
- Forward Spencer Naas is on a 3-game point streak (2-1-3) dating back to last season and has four goals over his last seven regular season games since Mar. 29, 2019.
GOALS: 3 - Brett Supinski
ASSISTS: 2 - Marc-Olivier Roy
POINTS: 3 - Brett Supinski
PP GOALS: 1 - Zack Andrusiak
SH GOALS: ---
GW GOALS: 1 - Anthony Nellis/Brett Supinski
PIMS: 7 - Keegan Kanzig
PLUS/MINUS: +3 - Brett Supinski
SHOTS: 8 - Will Merchant/Anthony Nellis
WINS: 2 - Tomas Sholl
GAA: 1.50 - Tomas Sholl
SAVE %: .958 - Tomas Sholl
Mountain Division Standings:
1. Steelheads 2-0-0-0, 4 pts
2. Allen 2-0-0-0, 4 pts
3. Wichita 1-0-1-0, 3 pts
4. Rapid City 1-1-1-0, 3 pts
5. Tulsa 1-2-0-0, 2 pts
6. Utah 0-2-0-0, 0 pts
7. Kansas City 0-2-0-0, 0 pts
All home games during the 2019-20 regular season are broadcast on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket", Sparklight Ch. 72 and ECHL TV. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK and at 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 and ECHL.TV.
The Idaho Steelheads Hockey Show returns to the air on Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 6:00 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket", featuring Steelheads news, analysis and insight from around the ECHL. The show airs every Tuesday through Thursday from 6:00-7:00 p.m. during the 2019-20 season.
Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 14, 2019
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Wells Heads to Bako; Exell Signed to SPC - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Make Two Trades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Weekly: Mariners Hit Road for Four - Maine Mariners
- Houser Recalled by Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Bested by Beast in Shootout, 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Walleye Weekly #1- One Game, One Win - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Acquire Longtime Rival Sol - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Todd Rips Pair, Daccord Stands Tall as Beast Pick up First Win of 2019-20 - Brampton Beast
- Defenseman Jeff Taylor Assigned to Maine from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Marvel Super Hero Nights for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Grizzlies Weekly - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - October 14, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #1 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Weekly, October 14th - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Weekly Report, Vol. 19, No. 1 - Reading Royals
- Mavs Monday: Wrapping up Opening Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Season Starts with Home Opener Set for Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 14 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.