'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon
ESTERO, Fla. - Following the third 50-win season in franchise history last season, the Florida Everblades picked up right where they left off to start the 2019-20 campaign this past weekend.
The Everblades racked up nine goals in two games to earn a sweep of the Norfolk Admirals in Norfolk, Virginia, to begin the season with a 2-0-0 record for the third time in four years under head coach Brad Ralph. Though Florida trailed in the first three minutes of both games, it netted five goals total in the first period over the weekend to take control of both contests. With the two wins, the 'Blades improved to 18-2-3 all-time against the Admirals.
While Florida shifts back to Estero this weekend, the opponent will remain the same. The Everblades host the Admirals on Saturday night for Opening Night presented by Hertz. Saturday marks the third of the four meetings between the two teams this year, with the final meeting not taking place until Feb. 22.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Oct. 11 | at Norfolk Admirals - W, 4-3
Oct. 12 | at Norfolk Admirals - W, 5-2
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Oct. 19 | vs. Norfolk Admirals | 7 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Justin Auger, Blake Winiecki and Tanner Jeannot all potted at least one goal in both games against Norfolk over the weekend.
Jeannot fired 13 shots on goal in the two-game series against Norfolk and ranks second in the ECHL in shots on goal.
Forward Cam Maclise registered the 'Blades first multi-point game of the season with two assists in Friday's game against the Admirals and leads the ECHL with four assists.
Forward Hunter Garlent and defenseman Adam Smith each had an assist on Friday night for their first professional point.
With the win on Friday night in the season opener, Florida improved to 17-4-1 all-time in the first game of the season in its 22 years as an ECHL franchise.
The first series of the season was chalked full of offense for Florida. The Everblades, which scored four straight goals in 12 games last season, piled on four straight tallies in both contests this weekend en route to their first sweep of the year.
Florida's 1-for-1 night on the power play on Saturday night was the first time in the last two seasons it has had a perfect conversion rate on the man advantage. It was also just the sixth time over the last two years that Florida has had less than two power play opportunities in a game.
The Everblades posted 19 shots on goal in the first period on Friday, a total that is tied for the most shots in one period in the ECHL so far this year.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades: 2-0-0-0, 4 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 1-0-0-0, 2 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 1-0-0-0, 2 PTS
Jacksonville Icemen: 0-0-1-0, 1 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 0-0-0-0, 0 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 0-1-0-0, 0 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 0-2-0-0, 0 PTS
G: Tanner Jeannot (3)
A: Cam Maclise (4)
PTS: Maclise (4)
+/-: Six players tied at +3
SH: Jeannot (13)
GAA: Cam Johnson (2.00)
SV%: Johnson (.905)
Opening Night (Oct. 19) - The Everblades drop the puck on their home schedule with Opening Night presented by Hertz on Saturday, Oct. 19! The festivities start with a free pregame tailgate from 5-7 p.m., featuring live music, grilled-to-order food, bounce houses and more.
Sweets in the Suites (Oct. 26) - Celebrate Halloween with the Everblades! The first 500 fans in the door will receive an Everblades Zamboni bank courtesy of Waste Pro. When the first period concludes, kids 12 & under will have the chance to score some sweets during Trick or Treat in the suites of Hertz Arena, while the second intermission will feature a costume contest.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 14, 2019
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Wells Heads to Bako; Exell Signed to SPC - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Make Two Trades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Weekly: Mariners Hit Road for Four - Maine Mariners
- Houser Recalled by Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Bested by Beast in Shootout, 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Walleye Weekly #1- One Game, One Win - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Acquire Longtime Rival Sol - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Todd Rips Pair, Daccord Stands Tall as Beast Pick up First Win of 2019-20 - Brampton Beast
- Defenseman Jeff Taylor Assigned to Maine from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Marvel Super Hero Nights for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Grizzlies Weekly - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - October 14, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #1 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Weekly, October 14th - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Weekly Report, Vol. 19, No. 1 - Reading Royals
- Mavs Monday: Wrapping up Opening Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Season Starts with Home Opener Set for Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 14 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.