Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets opened their 68th season with a 5-2 victory in front of a Fort Wayne crowd of 9,505 Saturday night in the first of 14 meetings against division rival Kalamazoo.
Matthew Boudens launched his pro career scoring a pair of goals including the game winner. Alan Lyszczarczyk also made his pro debut scoring the Komets second goal of the game. Brycen Martin scored the first goal of the game unassisted at the 18-second mark and added an assist for a two-point night. Mason Bergh also registered two points by dishing an assist on Boudens first goals and sealing the win with an empty-netter with 27 seconds remaining. Cole Kehler started his second pro year with the victory making 41 saves on 43 shots. It was Fort Wayne's sixth straight season-opening win as the Komets improve to 43-19-6 in home openers.
Looking ahead-- The Komets remain home this week for back-to-back games against division rivals. Friday Wheeling returns for an 8:05pm faceoff. The Komets clipped the Nailers in both preseason games on Coliseum ice. The Komets were 4-3-1 in eight meetings with Wheeling last year. Friday's game will be the first of eight this season and the first of four in Fort Wayne. The Nailers lost their season opener at Cincinnati Saturday 4-2 to enter the week at 0-1-0.
Saturday the Toledo Walleye make their first appearance of the season on Sweetwater ice at 7:35pm. The Walleye bring with them former Fort Wayne defenseman Cody Sol. Komet A.J. Jenks will face his former teammates of the last five seasons. The Komets were 5-4-2 against the Walleye last year and will face Toledo on 13 occasions this year. Saturday's game will mark the first of seven trips to Fort Wayne for the Walleye during 2019-20. Toledo is off to a 1-0-0 start after topping the Beast at Brampton 4-3 last Saturday.
See Komets Schedule
Komets on ice:
Tuesday, Oct. 15.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Wednesday, Oct. 16.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Thursday, Oct. 17.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Friday, Oct. 18.....Practice at the Coliseum, 10am-11am; Home game vs Wheeling Nailers, 8:05pm
Saturday, Oct. 19.....Practice at the Coliseum, 10:30am-11am; Home game vs Toledo Walleye, 7:35pm
Monday, Oct. 21.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Tuesday, Oct. 22.....Practice at the Icehouse, 10am-11:30am
Wednesday, Oct. 23......Practice at the Icehouse, 10am-11am; Road game at Kalamazoo, 7pm
Family Four Pack Night Friday-- Fans can take advantage of a 4-for-$64 offer at Friday's home game courtesy of Midwest America Federal Credit Union. Get four tickets, four hot dogs, four soft drinks, four chips for only $64 when purchasing the Family Four Pack at the Memorial Coliseum Ticket Office.
Friday night Marathon Nights-- Again this year Komet fans can save on their Friday night tickets with Marathon. Fans can earn a buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer with the purchase of three fill-ups at participating Marathon locations. Save with your Marathon Fill-Up Card this Friday when the Komets face Wheeling at 8:05pm.
Kids Seat Free Night Saturday-- Once again this season the Komets feature Kids Seat Free Nights. A Kids Seat Free Night is scheduled for this Saturday's home game courtesy Aunt Millie's, Lutheran Health Network and the Komets. Any child under the age of 12 can see the game for free with a full-priced adult ticket purchase.
Komet hockey on WOWO-- Fans can join the action with Shane Albahrani as he returns for his fourth full season behind the Komet microphone broadcasting play-by-play on WOWO AM 1190 and FM 107.5. Game broadcasts are also streamed live at Komets.com.
Get Komet Tickets-- Single game tickets are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office. Discounted group ticket packages along with Season Tickets are on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way in Fort Wayne. Also available are Flex Tickets, perfect as gifts and can be redeemed for tickets to any regular season game. For more information call 260-483-0011 or visit Komets.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 14, 2019
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon - Florida Everblades
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Wells Heads to Bako; Exell Signed to SPC - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Make Two Trades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Weekly: Mariners Hit Road for Four - Maine Mariners
- Houser Recalled by Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Bested by Beast in Shootout, 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Walleye Weekly #1- One Game, One Win - Toledo Walleye
- Cyclones Acquire Longtime Rival Sol - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Todd Rips Pair, Daccord Stands Tall as Beast Pick up First Win of 2019-20 - Brampton Beast
- Defenseman Jeff Taylor Assigned to Maine from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Marvel Super Hero Nights for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Grizzlies Weekly - Utah Grizzlies
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - October 14, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #1 (2019-20) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Weekly, October 14th - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Weekly Report, Vol. 19, No. 1 - Reading Royals
- Mavs Monday: Wrapping up Opening Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 14 - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly: Season Starts with Home Opener Set for Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 14 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Fort Wayne's Szydlowski Named ECHL Player of the Week
- Komets Sweep Wings at Kalamazoo; Wings Visit Friday; Tip-A-Komet Tuesday
- Komets Sweep Weekend Home Double-Header; Bergh Named ECHL Rookie of October
- Komets Home for Two this Weekend
- Ferguson Returns to Komets